Can anyone recommend...

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Emmyloo

Can anyone recommend...

Post by Emmyloo »

... a good cacti book?
Have been hunting in book shops and can never find one - plenty on bonsai trees but never cacti! Have seen some on amazon, but want to know if they're any good before I buy!!!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Try the library.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I doubt you'll find any good cacti books at the library and you won't find them on Amazon either.

Here is a probably your best bet for those in the U.S.

http://www.rainbowgardensbookshop.com/

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
alikat

Post by alikat »

I found some of the books listed on this site under sources at Books a Million both in store and on their web site.
Alice

Addicted and lovin' it
lophophora

Post by lophophora »

You can download several older works from the Cactuspro Digital Library - including a complete copy of the original edition of The Cactaceae: Descriptions and Illustrations of Plants of the Cactus Family by Britton and Rose (1919-1923, many color plates).

... I just noticed the buzz about cactuspro in the Gymnocalycium thread so this might be old news :idea:
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I just saw that thread too, but I didn't even notice that there were other cacti books there too. So, thank you!!!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Wow, just what i was hoping there would be, a place to download PDF books :D and the Original Britton & Rose is a sweet bonus!

Thanks for the link Lophophora!
TimN

Post by TimN »

Try your local library. Mine has The Cactus Family and several other decent books. If it's convenient to you, give it a shot!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
lophophora

Post by lophophora »

It might be a bit nerdy but I also like the Botanicus Digital Library. They have loads of historic botanical literature available for download including gems like Lemaire's Iconographie descriptive des cactees (be sure to check out the illustrations) and Coulter's description of the (then) new genus Lophophora.

Well, I'm sidetracking the thread a bit with all these references to historic literature :roll: If you're looking for contemporary books on cacti in the UK I can recommend Keith's Plant Books - Keith has a good selection of books and provides excellent service.