Grafting on opuntia compressa

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mark

Grafting on opuntia compressa

Post by Mark »

I was wondering if you could graft succulents the same way you graft cacti.

Mark
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes you can graft succulents just the same as Cacti but of course stock and scion have to be compatible. A cactus stock would not be suitable for a succulent. Many Euhorbias are grafted.

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

On the scion do you have to make a hole or how do attach them both together?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You can strap it down with rubber bands or toothpicks/pins. You wouldn't want to use put a hole in the plant if you were growing it for looks. That would be if you are doing a graft to promote offsets. That is one of the reasons people graft plants (cacti anyway) is that they make all kinds of offsets. And that is a fast way to get new plants.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

As far as grafting succulents is concerned there are various methods, these can also be used for Cacti.

The two main methods are the flat graft and the split or sometimes called the wedge graft.

The flat graft is the one most frequently used and like its name it consists of two flat surfaces being mated together to form a union.

The split graft that is usually used on long thin stems is made by slicing the top from the stock and then slicing down the centre of the stock for about an inch (3 cms.) The scion is then cut on one or both sides to produce a sharp wedge of tissue and gently inserted into the split on the top of the stock. The stock is then either bound together round the slit or a household clothes peg can do the job satisfactorily if the stock is not too large in diameter.

It makes sense to me, but how about you?

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

I had never heard of the second, but it seems to make sense. On the first, I had read that you should also bevel the sides of the base since the cambrium may shrink and youwouldn't have a graft. That seemed to happen the one time I tried it. I don't think I have the patience anyway, I keep wanted to see how they are doing and probably break whatever connection they have.

Mike
Mark

Post by Mark »

So i can graft succulents on the opuntia's?
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

No, different family Mark, only cacti can be grafted on to cacti. Succulents have to be grafted on to a succulent stock, i.e. a Euphorbia or something else that is compatible.

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thank youg uys for all the information.

Mark