Re: Pereskia . . . a cactus in transition.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
R00ffles

Post by R00ffles »

I'm really hard pressed to find them around here...((Loves Tropical plants and know's them all to well))
"What is that?!"
"It's a cactus of some kind..."
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

ChicagoCactus, those are really nice looking Pereskia grandiflora (Rose Cactus) seedlings. I kept two of the six seedlings I planted this April, and like yours, one just seems to have more vigor than the other. I probably could have feed and watered them more than I did, but they're getting there. Now all I have to do is get them through the winter. I bought the seeds from Trade Winds Fruit. This link will give pictures, growing tips, and seeds available for P. grandiflora. http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/rose_cactus.htm . And you're right about those thorns. Ouch!
Cereusly
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

iann wrote:Its fairly easy to see why this genus isn't widespread. They are huge and ungainly, unsuitable for any but the largest greenhouse, and lacking any useful sort of frost hardiness. They are also essentially non-succulent. Great for a southern Florida garden, useless for most of us. If you're in England, grow a Rose instead :lol:
Yes, this all adds to the challenge! It seems that many people who grow cacti like to grow what others are not growing. Roses for example. So we choose the unusual, but the most unusual of the unusual seems to be largely ignored.... I guess the combo of size/difficulty is the biggest problem. The large plants grown in England and other cold climates are pretty 'easy' plants like Pilosocereus while the really difficult plants like Aztekium are quite small. :-k
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Chicago Cactus

Post by Chicago Cactus »

Thanks Cereusly, I repotted mine about three times last year and they loved it. I kept mine in cool(45-60F), bright light and rather dry last winter and they pulled through ok. They look terrible when all the leaves go though. :cry:
Tom
Zone 5b
Watch out for the cholla, bunny!