Have you heard of/read Cactus: Biology and Uses?

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
TimN

Have you heard of/read Cactus: Biology and Uses?

Post by TimN »

I saw something that mentioned this book and looked for it online.

Cacti: Biology and Uses by Nobel, Park S.

It was published in 2002 by University of California Press. Park S Nobel was the editor, content was provided by 35 "experts".

It sounds interesting. I found a used copy for about 20% of retail.

Has anyone seen or read this book?

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

What? Nobody?

<crickets>
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Tim- I have it out of the ASU library but haven't gotten to it yet. On my recent trip to Texas I saw it at a remainder/used bookstore for $8 and almost bought it. It has a wide variety of interesting essays about cactus metabolism, edaphism, habitat, history, etc.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nope sorry, don't have that one... :dontknow:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I found one online for less than list and it should be arriving soon. I'll let you all know what I found out. It sounds fascinating, to me.

Tim
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

I looked this book up on amazon and found they have one peer review of it. Sounds like it is as the reviewer states "an advanced book". I am posting the link to the amazon review. I see he also has several other books listed on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... &x=19&y=23 I also located a down loadable version on Ebooks.com for a lot less money. Here is the link to that page http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_displ ... IID=224651 Lastly I found a discription of the book by the University of California Press with information on the contributors and Editor (Park S. Nobel) http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9139.php Looks interesting has lots of info from many experts. Hope you find these links useful. Sun is shining :sunny: birds singing :-$ not a cloud in the sky 8) and I'm watching my garden wake up too the spring!!! :thumbup: It dosn't get any better in Reno-Sparks, Nevada \:D/ John P Weiser aka: sierrarainshadow
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks John,

I saw some of that before I ordered the book, but the U of C link is very interesting.

It's nice and sunny here in AZ too. It's starting to get "hot"-ish here. It's 78 F here just after 5 PM.

Now if it would only stay warm at night the pool would warm up!