Grafting Hatiora

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Tom2643

Grafting Hatiora

Post by Tom2643 »

Has anyone ever tried to graft a hatiora onto a more upright rootstock? I want to try making a standard from one, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it. I've tried cleft grafts but the plants are both just too mucusy (i'm trying with an etiolated hylocerus so that the vascular core is smaller and might actually accomodate my hatiora stem). Are there any skinny cacti that are less mucusy inside, or any other grafting methods i should try? Has anyone her ever tried this before?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

What kind of Hatiora? H. salicornioides would be difficult. But the commonly used for seedlings stock of Pereskiopsis is probably your best bet.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

I have absolutely no idea what type it is, other than hatiora, I would post a picture but my camera is dead :( It looks an awful lot like salicornioides, but I can't say for sure. I decided to say the heck with it today and try doing a graft as if i were grafting a seedling (just took a tiny 2 cm piece and set it on a fresh wound). we'll see if anything comes of it.