Flowering Cacti

Create seed of your own
MichaelCactus

Flowering Cacti

Post by MichaelCactus »

Ok, ive been reading the seed threads and its got me interested. My Cereus Peruvianus is flowering right now, is it self fertile, also, if it is self fertile, do i just get a little brush and wipe it around in one flower, then wipe it around in another?

My Cleistocactus Winteri is about to flower, is it self fertile and do i do the same as above?

I have a Erioysyce species, it has a fruit on it, i have no idea if its been pollinated and etc, but would it still be worth takeing the seed out of the fruit and seeing if they grow?

Im new to this :?
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Lewis_cacti

Re: Flowering Cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

MichaelCactus wrote: I have a Erioysyce species, it has a fruit on it, i have no idea if its been pollinated and etc, but would it still be worth takeing the seed out of the fruit and seeing if they grow?
Yes, definately worth a shot. :P unless you have some form of artificial heating i would advice waiting until spring to give the babies a long growing season before their first winter. are you sure is any seed inside the fruit though lol?

whilst i have no idea of the self-fertility of your cacti specified... just try self pollinating them anyway.. it is worth a shot. cereus peruvianus has nocturnal nice smelling flowers as well. you never know.. you may get some edible fruit as well. :P
iann

Post by iann »

Several Eriosyce produce fruit without any seed set. They are sometimes empty and sometimes have non-viable seed. But then what's it cost to stick them in a pot for a few months?
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well Michael,
In my experience, C. peruvianus will make plenty of seed for you on its own. Probably part of the reason they are so common.

As for C. winterii -I've had countless flowers on mine and never once a fruit, so I'm guessing no on that one.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

I have no idea if it has seed in the fruit, im just guessing that it does, i havent opened it up.
My C.Peruvianus doesnt really have a smell to the flower for me :?

Never knew that Iann, but like you say, it doesnt cost me anything to try :)

Yeh i think that would be why then Daiv, i just got to get it to fruit now :P

Hmm i thought all cacti that flowered, fruited.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.