Escobaria

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
hob

Escobaria

Post by hob »

i was very surprised to find out how rare one of my plants was :shock: :shock: :shock:
cactiguide wrote:Escobaria emskoetteriana

Common Name(s): Big Nipple Cactus, Junior Tom Thumb Cactus
Synonym(s): Mammillaria emskoetteriana, Coryphantha emskoetteriana, Escobaria bella, Escobaria runyonii, Coryphantha muehlbaueriana, Neobesseya muelbaueriana, Escobaria muelbaueriana

Subfamily: Cactoideae
Tribe: Cacteae
Distribution: Coahuila de Zaragoza, Tamaulipas - Mexico : Texas - United States (North America)
Habit: Globose
Flower: Purple, White Encounter ability: Extremely Rare
i bought a load of plants from a nursery that was closing down about a year ago, i sent in an order for a load of rebutia with some extra money and just asked for "some unusual plants" one that i got was Escobaria runyonii which i paid about $5.00 for :shock: the only shot i have at the moment is a rather poor one under artificial lights for cataloguing purposes i will try to get some better shots over the next few days..............

Escobaria runyonii

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

It does occur over a very wide range and is not considered especially endangered. The same plant is found under a lot of different names, including Coryphantha.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Escobaria

Post by daiv »

hob wrote:i was very surprised to find out how rare one of my plants was :shock: :shock: :shock:
:roll: Ok, I'm still working on this data.

The purpose is mostly to help first time people in the identification process of elimination process. The "Encounterability" is supposed to give a feel for how likely "John Q. Public" is going to encounter a given plant. It should only be thought of as a gauge and not as objective fact, such as distribution data.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
hablu

Post by hablu »

Here is mine with a flower
greets Harry

peterb

Post by peterb »

Yes, "encounterability" is more a reflection of how common a plant is in the trade and how easily obtained it is without also knowing the name. Escobaria runyonii/Coryphantha roberti is not rare at all in habitat, but most forum members looking for an ID aren't in habitat (except for Texan Ed)

peterb
Zone 9