Succulent Propagation

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
templegatejohn

Succulent Propagation

Post by templegatejohn »

Propagation of Succulents with the emphasis on Haworthias

The propagation of succulents is relatively easy and can be done by everyone with just a little care and attention to detail.

I have decided in this case to concentrate on the genus Haworthia, but any succulent that grows in the same way, i.e. forming a rosette of leaves, with one or two exceptions can be propagated in the ways I list below.

Sowing Seed:
For the purposes of this exercise we will assume that all succulent plants if given the opportunity will produce seed to ensure the continuation of the species. This seed can of course be sown to produce new plants.

The reason I have chosen the Haworthia species is to demonstrate that the actual sowing of seed is not always the best way to propagate plants. Haworthias perhaps more than any other genus of succulent readily hybridise. By this we mean that two plants of different species cross-pollinate. If you have a number of Haworthias in close proximity to one another this is quite likely to happen. So unless you know that the seed is pure or alternatively you don’t mind growing ‘mongrels’ don’t sow them. The best hybrids are usually when man has intervened and chosen the parents.

Leaf Cuttings:
Many of us already know that if a leaf is carefully detached from the parent plant (it is usually better to gently bend the leaf downwards from the stem until it separates, rather than cutting it off) and placing it on the top of some dry sandy soil, or even pure sand [do not insert it, just let it sit on top] if and when the conditions are right, small red roots will make their way down into the medium and a small plant will start to form. When it is large enough the plant can be potted individually into a suitable size pot. I have always found it best to leave the parent leaf attached.

Many, but not all Haworthias can be reproduced very successfully by this method. The thicker leaved retusa types, truncata, maughanii comptoniana etc. are probably the best type to try.

Removing the Growing Point:
Not everyone has the heart or the inclination to ‘butcher’ a beautiful well grown rosette, but if more plants are required, this can be a very successful method. If the centre of the rosette is carefully cut out and removed the plant will begin to form offsets. At the time of re-potting these offsets can be potted individually as separate plants.

Dissection:
Similar to the above method but in this case the rosette is cut in half, as close to the centre of the plant as possible. Within a fairly short space of time you should have two complete rosettes. It is important that water does not enter the cut area and cause rot.

Root Cuttings:
The last method can be done without causing too much harm to the plant. It works on many succulents but can be very successful on Haworthias. Haworthias in general have quite substantial ‘fat’ roots. If the soil is scraped away from the top of the pot until a root[s] are exposed, the root can then be cut through, preferably with a scalpel blade or craft knife, just below the base of the plant. The cut area can be dusted with powdered charcoal or sulphur, or even hormone rooting powder as this product has an anti-fungal agent. Again it is important that water is not allowed on the cut area and cause rot. The root should be left in situ in the compost and again when and if conditions are right, a new plantlet will form on top of the cut surface of the root.

You may wonder why I have not mentioned grafting, which can of course be done with many of the succulents, but in my experience is used primarly with Euphorbias. This method will of course increase the normal growth rate of the plant and in turn give the grower the opportunity to 'harvest' more plant material for propagation. However finding the right grafting stock is by no means as easy as it is for cacti.

NOTE: All of these methods are dependant on the conditions being right for the particular genus of plant. For example Haworthias will probably not be growing in summer in the Northern Hemisphere. They will start to grow in September and by mid October should be in full growth. This is mainly because the Haworthia genus are found in the Southern Hemisphere and tend to stick to the Southern Hemisphere growing times. This means they are resting during the Northern Hemispheres summer, so there is little point in trying to propagate them at this time, although if you are green fingered or lucky you may still have some succuess. Obviously not all succulents follow these rules. So before you attempt anything, KNOW YOUR PLANT. And remember, particularly with leaf cuttings, not everyone will root, even for the experts with all the equipment they have at their disposal (propagating frames, automatic misting equipment etc.) so do not be too disappointed if you fail the first time. Try two or three leaves at once rather than one individual leaf. It is almost magical and a great feeling to produce a plant from a single leaf. Give it a go.

These are my own thoughts and practices, and some of you may have other, and equally successful methods of propagating succulents.

JC