Cactus of the Month (Sept. 2007) Cylindropuntia echinocarpus

A more in depth look at individual cactus species, a new one is added each month -managed by Hob
templegatejohn

Cactus of the Month (Sept. 2007) Cylindropuntia echinocarpus

Post by templegatejohn »

Cylindropuntia echinocarpus (Engelm. & J. M. Bigelow) Knuth

Beautiful plant growing in Daiv's Back Yard

Growth Habits: Can grow to a height of 3ft. (approx 90 cms.) wide by 3ft. High (approx. 90 cms.). The plant from a distance can look either silver or golden colour, depending I would think on the variety and although relative small, (for an Opuntia), with smallish cladodes [pads], it is probably one of the most viciously spined of all the Opuntias

Scientific name: Cylindropuntia echinocarpus

Common names: Silver Cholla, Golden Cholla.

Synonym: Opuntia echinocarpa, Opuntia wigginsii, Cactus echinocarpus, Cylindropuntia wigginsii

Etymology: The generic name "Opuntia" refers to a Greek name used by Pliny for a diverse plant which grew in the region of the town of Opus in Greece. From the Greek words echinos, meaning hedgehog and karpos, meaning fruit.

Origin: USA (Arizona, California, Nevada), Mexico (Baja California, Sonora)

Light:
This plant will take all the sunlight you can give it. An indication (and only an indication) of how much sun a cactus will take is the amount of spination on the body. If the spines virtually cover the epidermis or body of the plant it is a good bet that the plant will accept full sun. The spines do the job of protecting the body from dehydration, or too much water loss.

Compost: In habitat the plant is usually found growing in poor soil, either stony or sandy. Too rich a compost will probably not suit this plant, but some nutrients are always beneficial to the plant. I know that some people who are not particularly knowledgeable about cacti assume that they will grow in anything from rock chippings to cement dust, which of course is not the case. They are living things and like the rest of us need some nutrient to thrive and grow.

Water: The plant will survive on very little water, but this does not mean it does not like a water occasionally. Just remember that it is a desert plant and will not stand having its roots wet for any length of time. Do not water on a dull day or when the weather is changeable.

Flower: The flower is a greenish yellow and is similar in shape and size to most other Opuntia flowers. It is a beautiful sight when in full bloom.

Fruit: Typical of Opuntias in general.

Min. temp:
The books will tell you no less that 50°f (10°c) and I think they are probably quite close. In habitat the plant will suffer some cold nights, but it will be bone dry with probably low humidity too.

Cultivation:
Not a difficult plant to grow. Probably the hardest part is actually handling the plant when re-potting, pruning etc.

Habitat:
The plant grows over such a vast area of terrain that to say what the landscape is like is virtually impossible as it is comprised of practically everything, from grasslands to scrub, rivers to arid desert lands, mountains to plains. Many of you will be far more familiar with it than I am ever likely to be.

Comments: This particular plant belongs to the one and only Daiv. An ideal plant if you have the room and the weather to be able to grow it outside, either in a large pot or directly into the ground as daiv has done. It is a plant that has its own beauty and I personally like it very much. I was a little facetious about what the plant will grow in. In fact many professional growers do grow their plants in pure pumice, particularly in Europe. But to be able to do this, a rigid watering regime and also a balanced feeding plan are required.