Euphorbia tulearensis

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
jerrytheplater

Euphorbia tulearensis

Post by jerrytheplater »

I bought some Euphorbia tulearensis seed from Craig Fry in December 2022 and sowed them on Dec 24, 2022.

Here's a photo of the seed taken on Dec 22. Each scale division is 1/64" or 0.0159" or 0.4 mm.
2022-12-22 1_64 in div.jpg
2022-12-22 1_64 in div.jpg (82.99 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Edit 1/28/23:
Week Zero is 1/5/23: Start of calculation based on https://www.euphorbia.de/seed.html timeline. I’m just seeing roots breaking out of seeds. Seeds on a heat mat at about 85F daytime. Power shuts off with light at 7 pm till 7 am. Light is at about 55% power.

Week One is 1/12/23: This is the end of the first week.

1/10/2023: Took photos of the germinated seeds. Cotyledons are up. Germination is staggered. Two pots, each with about 11 seeds.
2023-1-10 pot 1.jpg
2023-1-10 pot 1.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
2023-1-10 pot 2.jpg
2023-1-10 pot 2.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
jerrytheplater

Re: Euphorbia tulearensis

Post by jerrytheplater »

Here is an update on this seed sowing journey. I've been keeping a journal in a Word document I have here at home.

1/13/2023 10 AM: Bottom watered each pot till top was wet using Dehumidifier water. Drained well. Still only Cotyledon leaves showing. No fertilizer yet. Still covering pots with plastic wrap.

1/18/23: Spoke to Kate Stone, the owner of Paradise Found Nursery 3570 Tallevast Rd Sarasota, FL 34243. 540-229-1997. www.paradisefoundnursery.com info@paradisefoundnursery.com She says E. tulearensis loves the heat and she has hers growing with cactus under their conditions. They also take less water. She said E. parvicyathophora is in the same category. She also told me that the Fairchild Botanical Garden in Miami, FL has a large Madagascar Euphorbia section run by Chad Husby. She said to try to talk with him. He’d be glad to show me around.

Week Two is 1/19/23. Weeks 2-3: Begin careful ventilation, exposure to more light.

1/19/23: Opened the top of the pots about ½” on both ends. Left them like this permanently.

1/28/23: Both pots are dried and need water. Last water was about 2 weeks ago. No fertilizer up till now. There are plenty of crystals of minerals showing on the dried mineral particles. Also, there are crystals showing on the drain holes of the pots. I think I may have used a 25% Coir containing potting mix for these seeds. I did rinse the Coir in DI water three times before using as the package directed. I top watered both pots with DI water to flush them out. I also chipped away the minerals from around the drain holes.

I will ask on CactiGuide about when to start fertilizing. The potting mix is shrunken away from the sides of the pots.

I labeled each pot to match the photo taken 1/10/23. Pot 1 front right seedling is showing its first true leaf. There are a total of 9 seedlings in pot 1. One is just showing germination today. Pot 2 all seedlings still in Cotyledon stage, but I can see growth at the apex using my low power (2-4x?) eye-loupe in the back right seedling. There are a total of 6 seedlings with one in the top left just germinating today. The seed coat is still keeping Cotyledons stuck together.

First true leaf:
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis 1st true leaf.jpg
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis 1st true leaf.jpg (205.96 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Pot 1:
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis pot 1.jpg
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis pot 1.jpg (148.57 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Pot 2:
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis pot 2.jpg
rsz '23-1-28 E. tulearensis pot 2.jpg (141.36 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
I increased the light intensity from 55% to about 80% today. The Ferocactus wislizenii and Mammillaria grahamii seedlings are showing some etiolation.

Week Four is 2/2/23. Weeks 4-5: Regular gentle ventilation.

Week Six is 2/16/23. Weeks 6-8: Good ventilation, for example by removing the lid or the sides of the propagator. Exposure to yet more light.

Week Nine is 3/9/23. It begins the Second month. 2nd-3rd month. 3/9/23-5/4/23: The seedlings are big enough to stand unprotected in the greenhouse or on the window sill. Direct sun should however still be avoided.

4th-5th month. 4th month begins on 5/4/23. 5th month ends 6/29/23: The seedlings will tolerate direct sun for short periods.

3rd -6th month. 3rd month begins 4/13/23: According to density in the pot or tray, the seedlings must be pricked out. After around September, however, it is too late to prick out, as the seedlings will not have enough time before winter to put down new roots into the new soil. If in doubt It is better to wait until the next spring.
Last edited by jerrytheplater on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Here is the question I need to ask you experienced growers. When do you start fertilizing your seedlings. I figured as long as the Cotyledon leaves are still there, there is no need to fertilize. Once the true leaves start showing up, then food would be needed. As I wrote above, I am seeing my first true leaf on my seedlings. But I am also still seeing germination of other seeds.

Is it time to start fertilizing?

I had seeds of Frailea parviflora fall into the pot and grow there. They grew without any pampering. No extra humidity. Fertilizer exactly as the adult plant got. No pampering. Is this how I should treat the Euphorbia tulearensis?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I added three photos in my post above from earlier today. I didn't take them till after I posted.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Nice seedlings Jerry. I like how that tiny leaf already grew in it's characteristic shape. The Malagasy Euphorbia are an interesting bunch that I haven't ventured into growing yet, but I am certainly interested in doing so in the near future. As for fertilizer, I pre-fertilize the sowing mix with quarter strength of what is directed on the label of what I normally use on adult plants. My sowing mix is mostly mineral with no composted material. I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet (mostly cacti), such as overlush growth or root burning.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I would start light dosing of fert. after those true leaves form

Normally, I would plant Euphorbia seeds late spring, and grow them through the summer
So I guess you have extra heat and light for these guys there on the east Coast

Keep us posted
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

C And D wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:47 am I would start light dosing of fert. after those true leaves form

Normally, I would plant Euphorbia seeds late spring, and grow them through the summer
So I guess you have extra heat and light for these guys there on the east Coast

Keep us posted
Craig- I wanted to get the seeds growing ASAP to get a head start on next winter. These seedlings are growing on a heat mat. 85F during the day. Power off at night. 12 hour cycle heat and light. Nights in the room get down to about 62F if its cold outside. This week we should be seeing 10F at night-outdoors obviously.

I have a combination of one true leaf formed, others showing signs of true leaves with continuing germination of other seeds. They are getting a lot of fresh air now. Not sealed by plastic film 100% anymore.

I could kind of spot water with fert water around the seedlings with true leaves. I think I'll try that for what its worth.

Eric-Too late to pre-fertilize for me. You obviously grow some nice seedlings, so it works for you. I remember burning some tomato seedlings with added fertilizer in the potting mix, maybe 35 years ago. I used a seedling mix for these Euphorbia with maybe too much added fine organics. I must have added a bunch to my regular potting mix before sowing these seeds. There my records fail me, as well as my memory. But looking at it, it is very organic looking. At least the heat mat helps out there.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
C And D

Post by C And D »

I wouldn't worry to much about using Fert. to early

I do it all the time,
the problem being is that you may get too much algae growth if your not careful
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Week Four is 2/2/23. Weeks 4-5: Regular gentle ventilation.

2/3/23: All of my cacti seedlings fertilized on advice from Craig Fry at CactiGuide.com. Using Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro at 50 ppm N (2.10 ml/gal) with addition of 576 ml/gal of stock solution of 1.75 gm K2SO4 and 1.40 gm KH2PO4. All fertilizing will be done with this solution. Plants still on heat mat but removing the cover faster.

2/15/23: Fertilized seedlings again. These Euphorbia’s dry out much faster than the pot of cacti seedlings since they are not filled as deeply as the cacti. Somewhere I noticed the temperature of the seedling pots was going above 90F in the daytime and on a Sat AM the low temp alarm was going off as the pots were below set point from nighttime shut off.

There are a total of 10 seedlings in pot 1. One is just showing germination today. 6 are showing true leaves.
Pot 1 2023-2-15
rsz 2023-2-15 E. tulearensis seedling pot 1.jpg
rsz 2023-2-15 E. tulearensis seedling pot 1.jpg (143.09 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Pot 2 has a total of 7 seedlings. 4 show true leaves. That means one more seed in each pot germinated since I last counted on 1/28/23.
Pot 2 2023-2-15
rsz 2023-2-15 E. tulearensis seedling pot 2.jpg
rsz 2023-2-15 E. tulearensis seedling pot 2.jpg (137.78 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Week Six is 2/16/23. Weeks 6-8: Good ventilation, for example by removing the lid or the sides of the propagator. Exposure to yet more light.

2/20/23 maybe-trusted memory and didn’t record notes: Sometime after the last fertilizing on 2/15 I discovered the seedlings of the Parodia mammulosa and P. haselbergii rotted away and the pots were too cold at night. I changed the plug position for the heat mat so it will stay on all the time. I looked at the soil in the rotted cacti pot and found the top was bone dry and the bottom was very wet. I dried that soil and sifted it through the window screen to see what fines would come out-I have to say it was a very large percentage of fines. And, there were some very coarse particles of peat moss that would not pass ¼” mesh screen. All were removed from my existing bucket of seed starting mix. The Euphorbia pots are half filled with the fines containing mix, but they dry out fully very quickly.

3/8/23: Heat mat turns off at night now. It was getting too hot during the day on the days where it was sunny and over 50F outdoors. This is how it is still set. Both Euphorbia pots bone dry with mix pulling away from sides. Flushed with low mineral mix of rain and dehumidifier water. Then fertilized. I drain them by tilting the pot till water comes out of the end. Sometimes I even pour water out through the top.

Pot 1 has 10 seedlings. 9 are showing true leaves. No more seeds have germinated since last photo.
Pot 1 2023-3-8
rsz 2023-3-8 E. tulearensis seedling pot 1.jpg
rsz 2023-3-8 E. tulearensis seedling pot 1.jpg (157.65 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Pot 2 has 7 seedlings. 5 are showing true leaves.
Pot 2 2023-3-8
rsz 2023-3-8 E. tulearensis seedling pot 2.jpg
rsz 2023-3-8 E. tulearensis seedling pot 2.jpg (160.59 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Week Nine is 3/9/23. It begins the Second month. 2nd-3rd month. 3/9/23-5/4/23: The seedlings are big enough to stand unprotected in the greenhouse or on the window sill. Direct sun should however still be avoided.

4th-5th month. 4th month begins on 5/4/23. 5th month ends 6/29/23: The seedlings will tolerate direct sun for short periods.

3rd -6th month. 3rd month begins 4/13/23: According to density in the pot or tray, the seedlings must be pricked out. After around September, however, it is too late to prick out, as the seedlings will not have enough time before winter to put down new roots into the new soil. If in doubt It is better to wait until the next spring.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ