Indian Comb Cactus Scarring

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
akcheat

Indian Comb Cactus Scarring

Post by akcheat »

Hi everyone! I have an Indian Comb cactus that I noticed appears to have some scarring towards the base, and I wanted to see if anyone recognized this as a type of fungus or pest. I am primarily concerned with the tan/light brown patches on the areoles towards the bottom. I am located in NM, and this cactus hasn't been watered in several weeks to prep for winter. It's only about 4-5 inches long, and the only affected areas appear to be towards the bottom.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Cacti.JPG
Cacti.JPG (58.68 KiB) Viewed 739 times
greenknight

Re: Indian Comb Cactus Scarring

Post by greenknight »

I don't see anything that would concern me, but a close up of what you're worried about would be good.
Spence :mrgreen:
akcheat

Post by akcheat »

Here's a closer picture, does this work to show what I'm talking about?
Attachments
Pic 2.JPG
Pic 2.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Indian Comb is the common name for Trichocereus brevispinulosus. Problems often start out in the roots, so take a look at your potting medium. If it's a heavy soil mix, IMO you should lean it out with pumice, Perlite, or crushed granite poultry grit for better drainage and aeration of the roots. By the way -- if you're growing your Indian Comb (and any other cacti you may have) in a terracotta pot, here's something to consider:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45833

Using porous clay to dry out the mix is a beginner's trick, and all it tells us is that we're using the wrong mix in the wrong type of pot. If we go with nonporous pots instead, we can lean out the mix for happier and healthier cacti over time.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I think this is just the beginning of a bit of corking - see:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ur8YvQxKU

Steve's advice is sound, though.
Spence :mrgreen:
akcheat

Post by akcheat »

Thank you both! I hadn’t considered sing anything other than the terra-cotta pots, that advice is everywhere. I’ve got a few that I need to repot in the spring, so I’ll have to see if I have a similar situation with the roots creeping towards the edges.