My winter storage plans for my collection, so far.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jerrytheplater

My winter storage plans for my collection, so far.

Post by jerrytheplater »

JCcares asked this question over in the General Topics subforum on Sept 23, 2022: viewtopic.php?t=47381

"Question? Why should I use indoor glow lights over the winter if my cacti are in dormancy what is the benefits AND how many hours is it best to have them on inside my dark cool basement?"

I responded:

"Joe, I am asking the same question since I no longer can store my cacti at work. First thing I am doing is to make an inventory of the plants I have and where they are native to in order to see what they take in the field. This way I can really see what I need for my plants. I may end up eliminating some of my plants if I only have a few that need special conditions.

Second, I started searching in the Cultivation sub forum to read what others have posted. I made a few notes for each. Not finished yet, but I can copy it in here. Some don't really apply, but others do.

Here is what I have so far:

Indoor Cacti Growing in Winter in Northeast US Zone 6b
Topic links in CactiGuide.com:

2018-10-6 Winter .... Indoor temps and Watering. viewtopic.php?p=352646&hilit=indoor+growing#p352646
Southern NJ Grower. “Of course the tropical cacti like Melocactus would probably like warmer temperatures in winter and some water.” DaveW.

2018-10-7 Over-wintering fluorescent setup and questions/help viewtopic.php?t=41775&hilit=indoor+growing
Overwintering setup indoors in Canada using fluorescent lights. ” Mammillaria and Astrophytum (also Gymnocalycium & Oreocerus trolli) are not likely to start growing if kept cool at about 15 - 20 C which are winter temps in Mexico. I wouldn't water any of these unless I wanted them to grow. Roots will be fine, thin ones may dry out but this happens in nature during dry periods too.” 7george

2019-1-12 Temperature for Opuntia Dormancy ?? viewtopic.php?p=355666&hilit=Temperatur ... 3F#p355666
CT area grower. Has very warm indoor conditions for dormancy. Not very informative for my questions.

2019-11-22 I’ve Moved My Plants Indoors Under lights for the Winter viewtopic.php?p=366767&hilit=indoor+growing#p366767
Growing plants indoors during winter outside in S. CA. 40F min

2021-1-20 LED Growing (artificial) light viewtopic.php?p=385122&hilit=indoor+growing#p385122
10,000 Lux at plants is shaded full sun.
Has link to light meter app for Android phone. Need good camera. Some doubts posted about ability of these apps to properly measure LED light vs Daylight or Fluorescent light.

2021-4-4 How dark is too dark for cacti dormancy? viewtopic.php?p=384916&hilit=indoor+growing#p384916
“Well, if temps stay below 10 - 12 C (50-54F) even full darkness is OK for winter months.” 7george
“I stored bare root dormant Sulcorebutia's and Rebutia's in a box under a table for a few months.” jerrytheplater. These were in a cool room maybe in 40-50F (4.5-10 C)
“You can winter them in the dark if kept cool and dry, but re-introduce them to sun gradually.” greenknight – Spence.

2021-4-10 Growing plants with artificial light. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46163
Lux = Lumens/m^2
“Lumens are a measure of the total amount of visible light, lux is a measure of the light falling per unit area, i.e. lumens per square metre. If I have a 10,000 lumen light source and use all of that light to evenly illuminate 1 sq m, the light intensity will be 10,000 lux. (In a theoretical world with 100% perfect reflectors etc).
However, if I use all of the light from the 10,000 lumen light source to evenly illuminate 10sq metres, the light intensity will only be 1,000 lux.” esp-imaging

2021-6-10 Grow light distance according to lux or wattage viewtopic.php?p=387150&hilit=indoor+growing#p387150
Six 4’ T5HO lamps 20” above plants in a 2’x4’ growing area with white reflector boards surrounding gives 20,000 Lux, but generates 74F even with 4 computer fans for air movement. Same setup with an LED fixture at 28” gives 51,000 Lux and 84F at full power, not dimmed. Fixtures cost about $250-350."

Well, I have now finished an inventory of my collection and looked up the information about each plant as posted on the LLifle.com http://www.llifle.com/ Encyclopedia page for both Cacti and Succulents.

I sorted all of my plants into three categories:
1- Winter Cold Cactus/Succulents-Cold Greenhouse, Those plants that like cold winters, but above freezing in a slightly heated greenhouse to keep the pipes from freezing. They'll see a minimum of 1-2C or 34-36F. Full sun otherwise and warmer temperatures as the sun heats the space. I wish I could say I own this facility, but I don't. It is at my friends commercial facility. I'll have to leave as he starts growing his spring plants and needs the space and turns up the heat. That will be tricky for me, but I am retired now and have been shuttling my plants indoors and out according to the outside temperatures. I'll have to do the same this Spring starting in mid to late February. I am making plans to build a greenhouse next spring/summer. The plans are in my head so far.

2- Winter Hardy Cactus/Succulents-Garage, Those plants that like very cold winters, as cold as it gets by me which is -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min. They are stored in my detached garage with one Southern facing window and the windows in the roll up door which faces West. No supplemental light or heat.

3- Winter Warm Cactus/Succulents-Indoors. Those plants which require warm light winters. I will be keeping these plants in an upstairs room with one Southern facing window. I do/will have supplemental light. Night time temps are set to 62F or 16.5C Daytime temps are set to 66F or 19C. Sun on the Western facing roof may heat the room further.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
nachtkrabb

Re: My winter storage plans for my collection, so far.

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi Jerry,
I like your overview. So you did sort your plants according to llifle, too? :lol: I did as well. But in cat.3 I keep the plants just within my living room or similar without any supplemental light. I admit I never had such a lamp. Up to now I never had real problems. Some Graptopetalum or such tend to etiolate, so I put them as close to a window as possible, and everything is fine.
The Italian granny of my neighbour usually stows her Echinocereus in her cool, dark & damp vaulted cellar. Dark as in "no light at all". Cool as in "stable around 8°C" to store vegetables & wine. I am surprised that they flower each & every year. :shock:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

nachtkrabb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:03 pm The Italian granny of my neighbour usually stows her Echinocereus in her cool, dark & damp vaulted cellar. Dark as in "no light at all". Cool as in "stable around 8°C" to store vegetables & wine. I am surprised that they flower each & every year. :shock:
N.
A cactus version of the Stockholm syndrome? :-k
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

ohugal wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:56 am A cactus version of the Stockholm syndrome? :-k
:lol: #-o ](*,) :lol:
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

nachtkrabb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:03 pm The Italian granny of my neighbour usually stows her Echinocereus in her cool, dark & damp vaulted cellar. Dark as in "no light at all". Cool as in "stable around 8°C" to store vegetables & wine. I am surprised that they flower each & every year. :shock:
N.
That's what I've been doing with all my excess Echinopsis that I grew from seed that I don't have any room for. Just throw 'em in the basement for the winter. As long as it's cool enough then they'll stay dormant.