Please help me to growing them

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
LogicShuvo

Please help me to growing them

Post by LogicShuvo »

Recently someone special gift me those astro baby.
I never cultivate astro before.

If you suggest me the proper care tips. And give me exact id of them. It will be greatest pleasure for me.

Thanks everyone.
Attachments
20220922_211941-01.jpeg
20220922_211941-01.jpeg (154.11 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
MrXeric

Re: Please help me to growing them

Post by MrXeric »

They are cultivars of Astrophytum asterias. The three larger ones are too young to tell if they will grow characteristics different from typical A. asterias, but the smaller one with the large flecks is the "Super Kabuto" cultivar.

Care depends on where you will grow these, but A. asterias tend to be rot prone, especially over the winter. It's best to use well-draining, low moisture retentive soil and to water sparingly and not at all if allowed to experience winter conditions.
LogicShuvo

Post by LogicShuvo »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 am They are cultivars of Astrophytum asterias. The three larger ones are too young to tell if they will grow characteristics different from typical A. asterias, but the smaller one with the large flecks is the "Super Kabuto" cultivar.

Care depends on where you will grow these, but A. asterias tend to be rot prone, especially over the winter. It's best to use well-draining, low moisture retentive soil and to water sparingly and not at all if allowed to experience winter conditions.

Thanks for your suggestion
Lupask01

Post by Lupask01 »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 am They are cultivars of Astrophytum asterias. The three larger ones are too young to tell if they will grow characteristics different from typical A. asterias, but the smaller one with the large flecks is the "Super Kabuto" cultivar.

I agree with MrXeric, that A. asteria are prone to root rot. Wet root in the winter is a certain death sentence. In warmer months, more water is good, with a drainage medium.
To further clarify, my experience is that when the temperature is below 15 degrees Celsius, no water at all until it got warmer. Second, they love the sun but not the direct sun. In nature (US and Mexico), they can be found below the shaded area under the shrub. Therefore, I keep them outdoors to get as much light as possible but avoid the noon-directed sunbeam by placing them under a tree or putting them in the greenhouse with 15 to 30% shade in the rainy winter. Bright but not direct. Remember to gradually expose them or they will have sunburn.
Conclusion: No water in the winter, keep them dry in a ventilated area.
LogicShuvo

Post by LogicShuvo »

Lupask01 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 am

I agree with MrXeric, that A. asteria are prone to root rot. Wet root in the winter is a certain death sentence. In warmer months, more water is good, with a drainage medium.
To further clarify, my experience is that when the temperature is below 15 degrees Celsius, no water at all until it got warmer. Second, they love the sun but not the direct sun. In nature (US and Mexico), they can be found below the shaded area under the shrub. Therefore, I keep them outdoors to get as much light as possible but avoid the noon-directed sunbeam by placing them under a tree or putting them in the greenhouse with 15 to 30% shade in the rainy winter. Bright but not direct. Remember to gradually expose them or they will have sunburn.
Conclusion: No water in the winter, keep them dry in a ventilated area.
Thanks for the suggestion.
In winter if don’t water it 3 months is it survive. In my country in winter day temperature is 12 to 18°C and night temperature is 8 to 12°C. What should i do.
Lupask01

Post by Lupask01 »

:D Hi-
Short answer: Yes, they can.
Long answer:
From my experience, those plants don't need too much water for their survival. In contrast, overwatering is a guaranteed death sentence. Your weather condition is similar to mine, and YES, they can survive. In fact, they go dormant during the cold winter months, so you can put them into your house or greenhouse that has good air circulation. Under dormancy means that they don't require much light and water, although you should find a place that is bright enough to prevent elongation.
Sometimes, they will wither and wrinkle a bit, but it is okay and acceptable. Watering when and only when the temperature rises again. For the warmer months, I usually water them once or twice a week, while in the winter, I don't.
Astrophytum 's natural habitat is located somewhere in Mexico and the US desert, which received some rain from occasional hurricanes in Summer, while remaining completely dry during the winter. We should follow it.
However, for many growers near the Equator like Singapore or Thailand, where the temperature is always higher than 20 degrees Celsius, their Astrophytum can be grown throughout the year.

Notes:
20 degrees is just for your reference, not for absolute measurement. It is more complicated than the temperature alone for the plant to undergo dormancy. Some factors are day-night cycles, humidity, and so on. In order to simplify, I focus on the temperature because it is easier for growers like us to tell the difference. The temperature could take months to drop and months to rise again, and what I would like to say is "no water during that period, which is the time you feel cold outside".
A. asterias took very, very long to grow, so be patient. They only grow about a few centimeters in diameter per year. My plants double their size in the last year, from 1 cm to 2 cm, despite my living in a sub-tropical region, which has at least 6 warm months. WOW.
LogicShuvo

Post by LogicShuvo »

Lupask01 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 am :D Hi-
Short answer: Yes, they can.
Long answer:
From my experience, those plants don't need too much water for their survival. In contrast, overwatering is a guaranteed death sentence. Your weather condition is similar to mine, and YES, they can survive. In fact, they go dormant during the cold winter months, so you can put them into your house or greenhouse that has good air circulation. Under dormancy means that they don't require much light and water, although you should find a place that is bright enough to prevent elongation.
Sometimes, they will wither and wrinkle a bit, but it is okay and acceptable. Watering when and only when the temperature rises again. For the warmer months, I usually water them once or twice a week, while in the winter, I don't.
Astrophytum 's natural habitat is located somewhere in Mexico and the US desert, which received some rain from occasional hurricanes in Summer, while remaining completely dry during the winter. We should follow it.
However, for many growers near the Equator like Singapore or Thailand, where the temperature is always higher than 20 degrees Celsius, their Astrophytum can be grown throughout the year.

Notes:
20 degrees is just for your reference, not for absolute measurement. It is more complicated than the temperature alone for the plant to undergo dormancy. Some factors are day-night cycles, humidity, and so on. In order to simplify, I focus on the temperature because it is easier for growers like us to tell the difference. The temperature could take months to drop and months to rise again, and what I would like to say is "no water during that period, which is the time you feel cold outside".
A. asterias took very, very long to grow, so be patient. They only grow about a few centimeters in diameter per year. My plants double their size in the last year, from 1 cm to 2 cm, despite my living in a sub-tropical region, which has at least 6 warm months. WOW.
Thank you for the detailed information.