Can this Cacti be helped?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
keith

Re: Can this Cacti be helped?

Post by keith »

Hi Steve, yes it will work use just about 1/2 inch on top of your normal soil and place the cut part on it after its dried a little for a week or so. that's what I do. I use rooting powder with fungicide , not sure if its for sale anymore ? Any fungicide should work or even nothing ?

I'm going to cut a over tall mammillaria albicans next growing season and this year I cut two mammillaria carmenae, mammillaria dehertianana and a echinocereus rigidimuss.

And some smaller cactus because of rot a rebutia helosia and a small echinocereus . In the growing season they usually root fast . I lightly spray the cactus then and lightly water. Not enough roots for a full soak that may take a year.
Attachments
top cuttings
top cuttings
cactus4.JPG (226.17 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Last edited by keith on Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

keith wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:38 am Hi Steve, yes it will work use just about 1/2 inch on top of your normal soil and place the cut part on it after its dried a little for a week or so. that's what I do. I use rooting powder with fungicide , not sure if its for sale anymore ? Any fungicide should work or even nothing ?

I'm going to cut a over tall mammillaria albicans next growing season and this year I cut two mammillaria carmenae, mammillaria dehertianana and a echinocereus rigidimuss.

And some smaller cactus because of rot a rebutia helosia and a small echinocereus . In the growing season they usually root fast . I lightly spray the cactus then and lightly water. Not enough roots for a full soak that may take a year.
This is quite helpful -- thanks, Keith! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:38 amI use rooting powder with fungicide , not sure if its for sale anymore ? Any fungicide should work or even nothing ?
I was just cleaning out my garage the past days and came across my two bottles of rooting hormone, so the name was fresh in my mind. Hormex.

https://hormex.com/collections/rooting-powder

Edit: Ahh, I was too fast. Hormex doesn't sell rooting powder with fungicide. Just looked up Rootone and found they dropped EPA registration of their fungicide containing product back in 1991. I didn't go any further.

I don't see why you can't dip or spray the cut surface in fungicide first and then the rooting hormone of choice.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:25 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:47 am I leave mine just as he has done
I can't let Steve take all of the blame, I was involved here too! Sorry, it was not malicious in intent.
😁