Degrafting box store cacti

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
FredBW

Degrafting box store cacti

Post by FredBW »

I should probably ask this in the grafting department. But I figured this is probably a pretty simple question for those that have been frequenting these forums for a while.
My question is. Do those flowers (or whatever they are) they graft onto the tops of cacti at the box stores ruin the cactus when you remove them?
I already have a couple I've had a while that were very small that the flower came off easily,and you can hardly tell anything was on top.
Today I bought a couple that were considerably bigger. 6 or 7 inches tall. Does it ruin the cactus that it wont grow normally after knocking them off?
Will they still flower?
I will probably answer my own question in time. But they actually have some pretty nice cactus that they have done this to. If odds are they will be normal after recovering from removal I will probably go back and buy more.
Any advice greatly appreciated..... Fred
Steve Johnson

Re: Degrafting box store cacti

Post by Steve Johnson »

FredBW wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:42 pm I should probably ask this in the grafting department. But I figured this is probably a pretty simple question for those that have been frequenting these forums for a while.
My question is. Do those flowers (or whatever they are) they graft onto the tops of cacti at the box stores ruin the cactus when you remove them?
I already have a couple I've had a while that were very small that the flower came off easily,and you can hardly tell anything was on top.
Today I bought a couple that were considerably bigger. 6 or 7 inches tall. Does it ruin the cactus that it wont grow normally after knocking them off?
Will they still flower?
I will probably answer my own question in time. But they actually have some pretty nice cactus that they have done this to. If odds are they will be normal after recovering from removal I will probably go back and buy more.
Any advice greatly appreciated..... Fred
Photos would help -- if you can post a few here, we'll be able to see what you have. Unfortunately I have zero experience degrafting cacti, but other members with that experience can give you some guidance.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

here is a pic. I believe this is an old man of the Andes,about 6 inches tall. It was 5 bucks. Poor cactus :?
I really don't understand why they do this. I pulled on it pretty hard. I don't think it's coming off that way. I'm afraid i will have to cut it off.
thumbnail_IMG_1101.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1101.jpg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
7george

Post by 7george »

Trimming the fake flower? Have to sacrifice some of the real spines...
I really don't understand why they do this.
Some workers do this for a pay. It attracts attention of newbies in the store.

Ignore it. Buy seeds only and be patient. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

FredBW wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:30 am here is a pic. I believe this is an old man of the Andes,about 6 inches tall. It was 5 bucks. Poor cactus :?
I really don't understand why they do this. I pulled on it pretty hard. I don't think it's coming off that way. I'm afraid i will have to cut it off.
Yeah, that's not a grafted cactus -- as 7george said, it's a fake flower and the reason why we shouldn't be buying cacti from big-box stores. Here in the US, there are a number of reputable online nurseries who would do a lot better for and by you. This is the one I place front and center:

http://www.miles2go.com/

IMO Miles Anderson is the best in the business.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Actually a little googling showed they are called strawflowers. There are several youtube videos showing removal with needle nose. Which is what I did. Just rocking back and forth they come off fairly easily,and there really is no damage on the cactus. They are glued on. I have a feeling they would eventually just fall off. I wonder if these are some kind of Chinese overstock. People in China might like them. here in the US they are almost always a third of the price of the real thing. Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't approve and think it's kind of ridiculous. But when given lemons make lemonade!
thumbnail_IMG_1102.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1102.jpg (81.29 KiB) Viewed 989 times
thumbnail_IMG_1103.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1103.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 989 times
thumbnail_IMG_1104.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1104.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 989 times
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Steve Johnson wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:44 am
FredBW wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:30 am here is a pic. I believe this is an old man of the Andes,about 6 inches tall. It was 5 bucks. Poor cactus :?
Yeah, that's not a grafted cactus -- as 7george said, it's a fake flower and the reason why we shouldn't be buying cacti from big-box stores. Here in the US, there are a number of reputable online nurseries who would do a lot better for any by you. This is the one I place front and center:

http://www.miles2go.com/

IMO Miles Anderson is the best in the business.
Thanks for the link Steve. I have been looking at the "places to get cacti" thread and actually had plans on getting cacti from miles2go. But here in the midwest WINTER is not far away,and I figure it's best to wait till spring.
Winters can be very long and cold here :(
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I've seen where the flowers were glued on with hot melt glue. The heat kills the growing point.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:34 pm I've seen where the flowers were glued on with hot melt glue. The heat kills the growing point.
Yea,from what I have read hot glue is how they normally do it. These were definitely glued on,but where I pulled off the strawflower is barely noticeable. It sure looks like hot glue. Time will tell. Iduno. Top end nurseries around here would probably get 30 or 40 dollars a piece for each of those cactus. I got both for 10 dollars and some change total. I hate to admit it but they are hard to pass up ](*,)
If I get more i will wear a disguise so nobody knows me :)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

FredBW wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:14 am If I get more i will wear a disguise so nobody knows me :)
Ha Ha!! Very funny. I got a good laugh.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
keith

Post by keith »

The cactus should be fine. I knock those fake flowers off sometimes at the big box store just to see whats going on underneath.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:27 pm The cactus should be fine. I knock those fake flowers off sometimes at the big box store just to see whats going on underneath.
Even a better idea.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

It’s not even a straw flower but a silicone one. They probably apply hot glue to this pom-pom “flower” and then put it on a cactus which result in less damage.
Any way you saved two nice cacti 😀
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

FredBW wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:14 am. I hate to admit it but they are hard to pass up ](*,)
If I get more i will wear a disguise so nobody knows me :)
:lol: If you post pics of your purchases here afterward, just remember to have a good explanation on hand , to explain the missing spines on top.. :wink:
I do see the point in not buying mistreated plants like this, it only encourage more of the same. But..on the other side, I have done just the same , rescuing some poor cacti ‘dressed’ as Halloween ornaments with glued on hats and googly eyes 😖 I just felt sorry for the poor plants and they came out ok, after carefully removing the ‘decoration’. A few spines less but they have grown pretty well afterwards. Luckily this is the only cacti I have seen with ‘decoration’, if you don’t count in hidious painted succulents.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I went back yesterday with thoughts of maybe buying more. But the others they had were surrounded by pups. They look even tackier. I really am trying to stay away from cactus that appropriate that fast. They are like pets and I can't just throw them away. So I think I am out of danger of buying more for now. :)