Big friend, would like to know their name

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
lhinelle

Big friend, would like to know their name

Post by lhinelle »

Hey folks, I have a large potted cactus that my grandma gave me years ago - it's been living at my parents' house, and it just recently came to my place. I have no idea where to start with cactus ID - can't find anything like a binary tree, which I've used to ID trees, plants, and mushrooms before.

If you know what it is or have any helpful resources to share I'd really appreciate it!

(PS Sorry the images are sideways, not sure how to make them load right side up...)
Attachments
Whole cactus lhinelle.jpg
Whole cactus lhinelle.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Close up lhinelle.jpg
Close up lhinelle.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 786 times
teo

Re: Big friend, would like to know their name

Post by teo »

Euphorbia (trigona?)
lhinelle

Post by lhinelle »

Thanks teo! I think you might be right - you mean this thing is in the spurge family, and not a cactus at all? Crazy!
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Agreed. It's Euphorbia trigona.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The "Old Worlds" equivalent of the "New Worlds" cacti! Parallel ev0lution in similar dry habitats.

Be careful is you cut it or damage it and any white latex or sap exudes as it can vary in toxicity with Euphorbia's, the ones classed as Other Succulents being particularly irritant if they get on softer parts of the body. Wash your hands before ever rubbing your eyes or that could result in a trip to the doctors.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles ... themselves.
lhinelle

Post by lhinelle »

Thanks everyone!

DaveW- this guy is going to live in the corner and get left alone! Thanks for sharing the link, very interesting reading.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...and if that sap comes out or when you want to cut off something (eg. to get a 2nd plant): Prepare a paper towel wet with hot water & lay it over the wounds as fast as possible. Then it stops bleeding and you don't touch the sap: Double win.

At https://cactiguide.com/cactiornot/ you find a bit about the difference between cacti & other plants. Your Euphorbia doesn't have areoles and different spines etc.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.