Looking For Dyna-Gro All-Pro 7-7-7 Replacement

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jerrytheplater

Re: Looking For Dyna-Gro All-Pro 7-7-7 Replacement

Post by jerrytheplater »

1 tsp per gallon is much better than 4 tsp per gallon. Good Growing.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 pm 1 tsp per gallon is much better than 4 tsp per gallon. Good Growing.
👍🏽

OWgave
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello Jerry and Steve-

Is it possible to put 50tsps of Floramicro and 50tsps of Florabloom into a 50gal. rain barrel and just fill up my watering can each time I water my agaves? I know it will be back braking work, but I’m not sure if my garden mixing sprayer is that accurate. How long will the mixture be beneficial in the rain barrel? Also, could I just add 350 grams of potassium sulfate to the rain barrel or is that a 7 gram per gallon solution to be added separately? Of course I will mix the rain barrel prior to watering the plants.
Just trying to make my back and plants happier.

Good Growing,
OWgave
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Unfortunately I can't give you a good answer because I "whip up" my watering solution in 1-gallon batches -- when the gallons are used up in a watering session, I leave the jugs empty until I refill them with fresh watering solution for another session. It's an advantage I have to owning a small apartment collection.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

How much water do you use each time you water? This is an important question.

I was just looking for the calculations I posted very recently which shows how much Potassium Sulfate is being added per gallon. I have to run out and can't look further. I don't think you understand what a "Stock Solution" is. It is a way to add very small quantities of a substance while not having a very accurate scale. I think the amount of K2SO4 per gallon is either 0.3 or 0.03 grams per gallon. I won't be available for 6 or more hours.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I wouldn't recommend mixing up more fertilizer solution than you can use immediately, bacteria can grow in that where they couldn't in the concentrate.
Spence :mrgreen:
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

greenknight wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 pm I wouldn't recommend mixing up more fertilizer solution than you can use immediately, bacteria can grow in that where they couldn't in the concentrate.

👍🏽
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

OWgave wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 pm
greenknight wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 pm I wouldn't recommend mixing up more fertilizer solution than you can use immediately, bacteria can grow in that where they couldn't in the concentrate.

👍🏽
I was heading towards what greenknight has said. If you use 50 gallons each time you water, then no problem mixing up that much. If it is going to last a month, then algae, molds, bacteria, mosquitoes, etc. can start growing in it. Not a good idea.

Re. Potassium. I'm going by memory now, I have not had time to search for the post I made within the past few weeks.

Stock solution is made up by dissolving 7 grams of K2SO4 in one US Gallon, which is also 128 fluid ounces. So there are 7/128 grams of K2SO4 in each fluid ounce of the stock solution. You are supposed to take 5 fluid ounces of the stock solution and add to the gallon of fertilizer you are making up. (Here again is memory, I am thinking it is 5 fl oz.) So you have (7/128) * 5 grams of K2SO4 in each gallon of fertilizer you are making up. That comes out to 0.27 grams of K2SO4 in each gallon of fertilizer you are mixing up. Most of us don't have scales that can measure that precisely. I am looking at purchasing one that can and it is in the $600.00 range.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Thank you Steve, Spence and Jerry for your knowledge and help.

I got some thinkin to do.

Good Growing,
OWgave
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello All-

Just got off the phone with Dyna-Gro regarding the no longer in production All-Pro and she said most growers like their Orchid Grow better.

OWgave
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Which growers? There are a lot growing pot now. Its where the money is.

If you can get Orchid Grow, I can give you what you'd need to convert it to the formulation Steve is using. I calculated conversions for all of their products. Some aren't practical to convert as you'd have to get Ammonium Nitrate, which is pretty difficult to get if you aren't a farmer. Its what is used to make bombs. You might need Mono Potassium Phosphate too. I have to look.

I am using Foliage-Pro since my friend buys it in 55 gallon drums, four at a time. I buy mine from him at his price. I think I paid him $10.00 for a liter.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:23 am
OWgave wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 pm

👍🏽
I was heading towards what greenknight has said. If you use 50 gallons each time you water, then no problem mixing up that much. If it is going to last a month, then algae, molds, bacteria, mosquitoes, etc. can start growing in it. Not a good idea.

Re. Potassium. I'm going by memory now, I have not had time to search for the post I made within the past few weeks.

Stock solution is made up by dissolving 7 grams of K2SO4 in one US Gallon, which is also 128 fluid ounces. So there are 7/128 grams of K2SO4 in each fluid ounce of the stock solution. You are supposed to take 5 fluid ounces of the stock solution and add to the gallon of fertilizer you are making up. (Here again is memory, I am thinking it is 5 fl oz.) So you have (7/128) * 5 grams of K2SO4 in each gallon of fertilizer you are making up. That comes out to 0.27 grams of K2SO4 in each gallon of fertilizer you are mixing up. Most of us don't have scales that can measure that precisely. I am looking at purchasing one that can and it is in the $600.00 range.
If I were to make a gallon stock solution of K2SO4, is there a “best used before” date or can I used this solution for awhile?

Thank you,
OWgave
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:53 pm
OWgave wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:02 pmIf I were to make a gallon stock solution of K2SO4, is there a “best used before” date or can I used this solution for awhile?
The Potassium sulfate stock solution is good unless and until you see algae clinging to the sides of the jug. Took me about 9 or 10 months to see it happen for the first time. The sunlight in my kitchen is what did it, so if I keep my gallon jug of stock solution in the garage when the growing season is done, that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for chiming in Steve.

I was planning to use a small Coleman gallon blue jug which light can not penetrate so hopefully algae won’t be a problem. Just was worried if I had a time limit to use the K2SO4 solution.

Good Growing,
OWgave
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

OWgave wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:20 pmThanks for chiming in Steve.

I was planning to use a small Coleman gallon blue jug which light can not penetrate so hopefully algae won’t be a problem. Just was worried if I had a time limit to use the K2SO4 solution.
Thank you for giving me a good idea -- I'll have to get one of those Coleman gallon jugs! :)
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:23 amStock solution is made up by dissolving 7 grams of K2SO4 in one US Gallon, which is also 128 fluid ounces.
True for a stock solution going with the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7, but not with the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 -- should be 8 grams K2SO4 per gallon. The constant here is 5 fluid oz. of stock solution added to 1/2 tsp. 7-7-7 or 7-8-6 for a gallon of watering solution. As long as you have the right stock solution that matches the K value of your fert, you'll be fine. A couple of questions:
  • What's the capacity of your watering container?
  • How much water do you use per watering session?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello Steve-

My watering can is 3 gallons and each watering session I fill it up about 7 times, so I use about 21 gallons once a week.

Oh by the way, I was luckily able to find more Dyna-Gro All-Pro 7-7-7😁

OWgave