Winter preparations Question?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keith

Re: Winter preparations Question?

Post by keith »

“Imidacloprid” I gave my cacti a soak last June. Will they need another treatment to prevent pesty pests before I bring all my cacti in my basement for the winter? no once a year should be enough

Insecticidal soap, Horticultural soap. Should I be doing this once a month, and when would be the best time to do this before I bring my cacti in for the winter? No only good for spot treatment anyway

Do I want the roots dry before I bring them in my home for the winter. Yes good idea

Do I keep the fans on my cacti circulation 24 hours a day all winter long? No I don't think you need to do this unless it gets humid which inside I don't think so

I’ve noticed up north of where I live in NC where real winter happens Michigan and other northern states some bring their cacti into their dark cellar for the winter with no light? Do cacti need some light to get them through the hibernation season? No they don't as long as they are asleep

I live in S CA so I don't water my cactus during the Winter months and they are outside in cold frames . So have little experience with real Winters
7george

Post by 7george »

Some species can start growing at these temps, esp. at low light conditions. So for California maybe outdoor wintering under shelter would be a better solution?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

7george wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm Some species can start growing at these temps, esp. at low light conditions. So for California maybe outdoor wintering under shelter would be a better solution?
Yes -- it's a blessing Keith and I enjoy here in SoCal. Not sure if it does Joe any good, so I'll ask him a couple of questions:
  • Do you experience hard freezes in your part of NC?
  • Do you have to contend with high winds during fall and winter?
Joe, if the answer to either one or both of these questions is "yes", then unfortunately you'll have to bring your cacti indoors for the fall and winter. Your basement is a possibility, although if you have a garage with space where you can put them right next to a wall, that may be better. The garage is the one room in the house that doesn't getting heating -- IMO the best place to keep your cacti cool, dark, and dry when they're in hibernation.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

keith wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:50 am “Imidacloprid” I gave my cacti a soak last June. Will they need another treatment to prevent pesty pests before I bring all my cacti in my basement for the winter? no once a year should be enough

Insecticidal soap, Horticultural soap. Should I be doing this once a month, and when would be the best time to do this before I bring my cacti in for the winter? No only good for spot treatment anyway

Do I want the roots dry before I bring them in my home for the winter. Yes good idea

Do I keep the fans on my cacti circulation 24 hours a day all winter long? No I don't think you need to do this unless it gets humid which inside I don't think so

I’ve noticed up north of where I live in NC where real winter happens Michigan and other northern states some bring their cacti into their dark cellar for the winter with no light? Do cacti need some light to get them through the hibernation season? No they don't as long as they are asleep

I live in S CA so I don't water my cactus during the Winter months and they are outside in cold frames . So have little experience with real Winters
Thank you Keith thank you for taking the time to clarify things. I’m ready for winter now.
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:27 pm
7george wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm Some species can start growing at these temps, esp. at low light conditions. So for California maybe outdoor wintering under shelter would be a better solution?
Yes -- it's a blessing Keith and I enjoy here in SoCal. Not sure if it does Joe any good, so I'll ask him a couple of questions:
  • Do you experience hard freezes in your part of NC?
  • Do you have to contend with high winds during fall and winter?
Joe, if the answer to either one or both of these questions is "yes", then unfortunately you'll have to bring your cacti indoors for the fall and winter. Your basement is a possibility, although if you have a garage with space where you can put them right next to a wall, that may be better. The garage is the one room in the house that doesn't getting heating -- IMO the best place to keep your cacti cool, dark, and dry when they're in hibernation.
Yep hard freeze Steve and yes oh yes real winter high winds.

I think I will be asking for help again in the middle of winter. My unheated basement is my only option and best option but most of the time the temperature is around 62 F. I might need to give a few cacti a sip of water every 4 weeks. Thank you Steve for being here I help me not lose 1 cacti this winter. Last year I lost six to spider mites only because they were in my living room this winter will be different in the basement the unheated basement.
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
7george

Post by 7george »

My unheated basement is my only option and best option but most of the time the temperature is around 62 F. I might need to give a few cacti a sip of water every 4 weeks.
Just remember that cacti will not "dry out" from being held some months without watering. And moisture can stimulate some growth.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8