Concerns regarding Euphorbia cylindrifolia

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Salazar

Concerns regarding Euphorbia cylindrifolia

Post by Salazar »

So I've had this plant for a few years now, started from a cutting. There was a period some time ago where it wasn't in the best lighting causing some leggy growth and wide, not so cylindrical, leaves. It's been getting better light the past few months though.

Well recently it's been looking not so great. Limp stems and has a generally sickly look. So I took it out of it's pot and I never got around to replacing it's soil to the one I use now. It was pretty sandy and had lots of fine particles. A lot of the roots were dead. So I've trimmed most of the roots and to my surprise what looks like a teeny tiny caudex has begun to grow. I'm not sure if it is one cause I don't know if this species can grow a caudex from cuttings.

So know I've been thinking about pruning some of it's stems too to hopefully promote new healthier growth but it may be too much stress at this point.

So do you think it'd be a good idea to give this one a hard pruning?

Also could there be a way to foster growth on this caudex, assuming it is growing one?

Here are some not great pictures, apologies haha
IMG20220808133946_copy_800x800.jpg
IMG20220808133946_copy_800x800.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMG20220808134005_copy_800x800.jpg
IMG20220808134005_copy_800x800.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Thank you!
greenknight

Re: Concerns regarding Euphorbia cylindrifolia

Post by greenknight »

It's normal for this species to have a caudex - though, according to Llifle, when grown from a cutting it usually fails to produce one. You got lucky!

Kind of a rugged look is also normal. it doesn't look that bad. I don't think a heavy pruning is needed. I would just re-pot it in better soil, setting it shallow enough that the caudex shows, and see how it does.
Spence :mrgreen:
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

Hmm well if it is a caudex then I suppose I'll stick it back in the soil cause according to llifle the caudex doesn't grow well when raised above the soil.

Before it didn't look this weak? frail? Idk what the right word is haha. But then again it was in pretty bad conditions the past year or so so I suppose it's still recovering from that time

Thanks Spence!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The way the roots are formed, you couldn't raise the caudex above the soil without also leaving a lot of roots exposed - I wasn't suggesting that! But I think there's a good chance that better soil is all it needs to perk it up.
Spence :mrgreen: