new Gymno that just bloomed today

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
fanaticactus

new Gymno that just bloomed today

Post by fanaticactus »

I've searched a couple of pictorial sources for ID on this Gymno I bought locally, but I can't find any exact match. The closest possibilities seem to be G. bodenbenderianum and G. gibbosum v brachypetalum. Even these differ in various aspects. I know there are variations, but nothing else seems to even resemble it closely. As these pictures will show, the petals have rounded tips, the fairly thin short spines number 5--very uniformly except on the very young areoles, rather narrow ribs (there are 11 of them), and clearly defined 'chins' but not overly protruding ones. Could this somehow be a hybrid of sorts? I appreciate any suggestions.
001.JPG
001.JPG (65.27 KiB) Viewed 998 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (67.43 KiB) Viewed 998 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (101.23 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
anttisepp

Re: new Gymno that just bloomed today

Post by anttisepp »

quehlianum
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:57 pmquehlianum
I looked up the listing and yup...bingo! I can explain why I couldn't find it at first when I searched CactiGuide listings. I don't have many hours to spend on cacti per day. I have a nice collection but it's taken years to build. Yes, I've lost many along the way, but I keep trying...and I've learned several that I simply cannot keep alive, so I don't attempt them any longer. That said, I looked at the featured photo for each species and if it didn't resemble my unidentified, I skipped over it. When I went back to 'quehlianum' whose first photo doesn't look at all like mine, I found a couple of photos that were much more representative of it. The photos of it in a natural setting to me worthless because, as we are well aware, a potted cactus can vary considerably from the same species in the wild. Perhaps I can offer my photos to CactiGuide to include under Gymnocalycium quehlianum, as it is probably more representative of its look as it is found in greenhouses, garden centers, and from suppliers. Thank you!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...post your pictures here: https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
Although I am not too sure if anybody still works on the lexicon. Or is it?

Very nice plant.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks, 'nachtkrabb'. I just checked the site and it looks like it hasn't been active in years. I'm wondering if it's still accepting photos. I realize it's a herculean task!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

I just asked exactly about that in https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47315.
I am really sorry, there are so many splendid pictures unused.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.