Difficulties with Lobivia famatimensis

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
yukomkom

Difficulties with Lobivia famatimensis

Post by yukomkom »

Hello everyone, I've bought this Lobivia last spring. Have permanent issues with it: in spring it wakes up as one of the last and starts growing for a short period of time, then with start of summer when the air becomes hotter it stops growing. Taking into account that in winter I repotted it and roots were pretty weak and also based on the http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... matimensis which states that it's rot prone and should be handled carefully with watering - so I water it really carefully after ensuring that soil is well dried. It grows on the balcony with good air flow.
I would like to ask how to deal with it? Maybe I do something wrong? ](*,)
Adding images (not growing around 2 months). As for me looks dehydrated.
lobivia_1.JPEG
lobivia_1.JPEG (105.59 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
lobivia_2.JPEG
lobivia_2.JPEG (98.33 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
lobivia_3.JPEG
lobivia_3.JPEG (77.34 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
greenknight

Re: Difficulties with Lobivia famatimensis

Post by greenknight »

I've found that cacti with weak root systems often will revive if they're under-potted (note that Lifle also suggests under-potting for this species). Problem is, it has a tap root so it needs a deep pot. My solution in such cases is to put rocks in the pot to take up the extra space, leaving a hole in the middle for the tap root. You want to especially take up space in the bottom of the pot, where the mix tends to stay saturated after watering.

Since it's not growing anyway, you've got nothing to lose by disturbing it, try re-potting it with this method.
Spence :mrgreen:
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Your plant looks very healthy. It is a slow growing plant so what you describe seems normal. My plants seems to change size and shape regularly through the growing season as they take on water and then dry out.
yukomkom

Post by yukomkom »

Thanks a lot for your help guys!