ID help please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
loyall

ID help please

Post by loyall »

I have thought that this plant is Parodia magnifica, but the spines are so white. As you may be able to see in the photo, the spines if one looks closely have a very pale yellowish tint, but the overall effect is of whiteness. Also it is columnar in form. It was a small globose plant when I purchased it 18 months ago. Now it has tripled in height to 11.5cm. Species/variety verdict?
P magnifica_20220720_06.jpg
P magnifica_20220720_06.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
greenknight

Re: ID help please

Post by greenknight »

Looks like it needs more light. P. warasii, or an etiolated P. magnifica, is my guess.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Eriocactus magnificus
loyall

Post by loyall »

anttisepp wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:50 pm Eriocactus magnificus
That is what I thought, but are the white spines a natural variability from the more usual yellow spines, or is there a known white spined variety?
loyall

Post by loyall »

greenknight wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:37 am Looks like it needs more light. P. warasii, or an etiolated P. magnifica, is my guess.
Well Spence, don't both warasii and magnifica usually have yellow spines?
As to being etiolated, isn't the new rib that is forming and dark green color suggestive of normal growth pattern?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Your cactus does have yellow spines, just extremely pale - low light will do that. P. magnifica develops a waxy bloom on its surface if it gets enough sun, which makes it appear blue - it's green in lower light. It should retain the globose shape (a common name is "balloon cactus") unti it's quite large, becoming columnar only with age.

It's not badly etiolated, but a little more light would improve its appearance. P. magnifica tolerates light shade, develops the most blue look in full sun, but it would have to be acclimated gradually to avoid sunburn. P. warasii needs light shade, as it lacks the protective bloom.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

I think you have a white spined form of Notocactus magnificus which should be propagated if it is anything like the form of this species http://www.llifle.com/photos/Eriocactus ... 7214_l.jpg
loyall

Post by loyall »

greenknight wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 pm Your cactus does have yellow spines, just extremely pale - low light will do that. P. magnifica develops a waxy bloom on its surface if it gets enough sun, which makes it appear blue - it's green in lower light. It should retain the globose shape (a common name is "balloon cactus") unti it's quite large, becoming columnar only with age.

It's not badly etiolated, but a little more light would improve its appearance. P. magnifica tolerates light shade, develops the most blue look in full sun, but it would have to be acclimated gradually to avoid sunburn. P. warasii needs light shade, as it lacks the protective bloom.
Your analysis seems persuasive. I did point out that close up the spines are a very pale yellow. Since it lives on my south facing window sill, and I don't intend to get grow lights, it will have to make do with just three hours of direct sun on sunny days. Thanks
loyall

Post by loyall »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 pm I think you have a white spined form of Notocactus magnificus which should be propagated if it is anything like the form of this species http://www.llifle.com/photos/Eriocactus ... 7214_l.jpg
Thanks Tom for the link to the photo of the white N. leninghausii. I'm now inclined to Spence's diagnosis of insufficent direct sunlight.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Every inch of distance from the window makes a difference, get it as close as you can.

My opinion is based more on the shape of the cactus and weak spine development than the spine color, actually, since the spine color is variable.
7george

Post by 7george »

Nothing but Parodia magnifica. My windowsill plant is also ~ 12 cm high and just 7 - 8 cm in diameter. Not bloomed yet.
Its brothers and sisters enjoying GH conditions about 10 years ago:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

7george wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:35 pm Nothing but Parodia magnifica. My windowsill plant is also ~ 12 cm high and just 7 - 8 cm in diameter. Not bloomed yet.
Its brothers and sisters enjoying GH conditions about 10 years ago:
:D