Black substence on my cholla.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Lactus

Black substence on my cholla.

Post by Lactus »

Hello. So I discovered this black substance on my Opuntia fulgida v. mamillata. I think it might be a fungus. Any tips on how to get rid of it would be great.
IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 805 times
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: Black substence on my cholla.

Post by Tom in Tucson »

If it's mildew you should find a new atmosphere to grow it with less humidity
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:56 pm If it's mildew you should find a new atmosphere to grow it with less humidity
Oh yeah! It does look like mildew. Any way to clean it off or just let it dry out?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Lactus wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pmIt does look like mildew. Any way to clean it off or just let it dry out?
Actually, that's called "sooty mold", and it's a problem when we're growing some Opuntioid species in a humid environment. Good news is that sooty mold is a bit unsightly, but by no means life-threatening. The humidity in my part of L.A. is on the high side, and whenever I see sooty mold on the extrafloral nectaries produced by my Tephrocactus inermis, I just let it dry out.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49 pm
Lactus wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:19 pmIt does look like mildew. Any way to clean it off or just let it dry out?
Actually, that's called "sooty mold", and it's a problem when we're growing some Opuntioid species in a humid environment. Good news is that sooty mold is a bit unsightly, but by no means life-threatening. The humidity in my part of L.A. is on the high side, and whenever I see sooty mold on the extrafloral nectaries produced by my Tephrocactus inermis, I just let it dry out.
Oh great! Thanks for the info
tylerthecactusman

Post by tylerthecactusman »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49 pm
I am in LA as well and close to the ocean. Reading your post I suspect this guy of mine has same issue so I am going to make sure it gets nice and dry.
9F67251B-3216-441A-AD30-967BDB4012FF.jpeg
9F67251B-3216-441A-AD30-967BDB4012FF.jpeg (68 KiB) Viewed 587 times