What should I expect?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

What should I expect?

Post by fanaticactus »

I was looking for the Forum for succulents to no avail. So I apologize for posting it here, but I'm hoping someone can help. I was gifted this 'Coral Cactus' (Euphorbia lactea cristata) almost three years ago, and it hasn't done anything. What might the future hold in store for this succulent? How often should it be watered? Does it need a 'rest period'? Should the soil be neutral, acidic, or alkaline? Is it supposed to eventually have flowers? Thanks for any info.
009.JPG
009.JPG (113.54 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
greenknight

Re: What should I expect?

Post by greenknight »

They are slow-growing - do you have a photo from when you first got it to compare?

Euphorbias aren't very fussy about soil. It should be well-drained, preferably neutral to slightly acidic - but they will tolerate slightly alkaline soil as well. As for its future, it should continue to grow slowly for many years. Flowers are tiny, and rarely produced.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Re: What should I expect?

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks, Spence. This is the first photo I have of it, but it looked exactly the same when I got it. I've had it in the house all this time and water it when I think of it. This year I've put it outside hoping the changing temperatures and direct-to-partial sun will urge it to do something. It also gets the benefit of occasional rain. I won't look for any big changes since it is slow growing. It'll just be an 'oddity' in my cactus collection!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!