Tips for retrying seeds in takeaway containers

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Download

Tips for retrying seeds in takeaway containers

Post by Download »

I'm not sure how common it is, but on a not-insignificant number of takeaway containers containing seeds, I either get no germination or very little germination (say 1 in 10 seeds). Usually, if I don't get anything after several months, I will open up the container, let it dry out and put it on a shelve for retrying, but I rarely get anything on a second go.

To use one example, I purchased ~60 Eulychnia seeds containing 6 different varieties. One species had great germination (like 60% or so), one had maybe 3 germinate, two had a single seed germinate, and rest did nothing. The seeds were supposedly from that season, and I am willing to believe that, but the germination rate is very disappointing, not to mention they were kind of expensive.

It's definitely not a sterilisation problem as there's no algae, no mould and no smell in these containers. The location is a warm 20-25degC. I scarify seeds that are large enough to scarify.

I've had some limited success with freezing seeds before sowing, so for some containers I have put the whole thing in the freezer for a few weeks and then tried again. This has produced very marginal results, say a single germination, in some containers.

I'm curious as to what people suggest might help. Over two or three years of growing seeds I now have about 100 or so takeaway containers that have seeds in them that I would like to try get something out of.
Jangaudi

Re: Tips for retrying seeds in takeaway containers

Post by Jangaudi »

I sowed in containers first, which worked, though I'm starting to lean to glass containers, still not sure why it is, but they seem to do better in there. The water circulation is definitely different in the glass ones, with a lot more condensation on the sides. I had several glass jars of different varieties of Echinocactus horizonthalonius that did really well, like over 50% germination. Maybe worth a shot.
7george

Post by 7george »

Never sowed Eulychnia seeds but some cacti can germinate after several years of harvest. The type of containers is not so important. Try higher temps after next soaking maybe.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
keith

Post by keith »

I would find a seed from each pot and see if its still good by breaking it , if it's white inside probably good but if dried out then dead and they might all be dead. Only works on medium to larger seeds small seeds too hard to view.

I've also floated seeds out of failed pots and re tried them thinking the pots must have something wrong.