Unknown Wild Cacti in Northern Utah

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hikerguy

Unknown Wild Cacti in Northern Utah

Post by hikerguy »

IMG_8582.JPG
IMG_8582.JPG (92.65 KiB) Viewed 947 times
I spent hours trying to figure how to resize with no luck. Well try this, if it's not good enough I will try taking with lower pixels next time I go out. I hike in the mountains of Northern Utah. I find these small cacti in Juniper Forests in the mountains. They are about 12 inches at tops and most about six inches. They can grow alone or in quite large clumps. I have watched them for three years and have not seen them flower. This is one section and new growth coming on in the spring.
greenknight

Re: Unknown Wild Cacti in Northern Utah

Post by greenknight »

Opuntia fragilis?
Spence :mrgreen:
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Opuntia fragilis would be my best guess too.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

hikerguy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 am I spent hours trying to figure how to resize with no luck.
I use https://picresize.com/ Just upload from your computer. Scroll down and choose "Best" for JPEG quality. Set size at 500kb max. Click to resize and save it to your computer within I think 20 minutes or else it gets deleted. Works perfectly for me.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
hikerguy

Post by hikerguy »

Thank You everyone. I went up and took a look at the cacti again today and I am sure it is Opuntia fragilis. I have been searching for its name for a few years so can't believe the two in the post figured it out for me in less than 24 hours. Thank You for your help.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:07 pm
hikerguy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 am I spent hours trying to figure how to resize with no luck.
I use https://picresize.com/ Just upload from your computer. Scroll down and choose "Best" for JPEG quality. Set size at 500kb max. Click to resize and save it to your computer within I think 20 minutes or else it gets deleted. Works perfectly for me.
I was looking ages for a simple resize utility. Eventually I happened upon the one below. It's a Windows program.
Usage is as simple as selecting the images to be resized with File Explorer, right-click and 'Resize pictures'.

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I've used Picasa for years. It's no longer supported by google, you can still download it and it works flawlessly . A very powerful, easy to use photo program.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Sounds like we need an updated sticky for picture resizing and posting. Maybe best to delete the old directions since people will land at the first decades old information.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I think the best thing to do here would be for someone to make a new updated thread on how to resize photos. Then, others can add on how they personally resize photos. It might help if we update the thread every so often. Moderators can pin the thread.

It would probably be best if the thread were to be created in the "Cactiguide.com comments" section.

Just my suggestion. :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I use the GIMP, but it's not the easiest to use. It's a full-featured photo editing program - like Photoshop, but free - and it's really overkill for this purpose.
Spence :mrgreen:
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

I use Image Resizer for Windows as mentioned by Lefty above, quite easy to use (just right click on the picture/pictures), and it has Advanced Options.
The other one I use often for large batch conversion from multiple sources/folders (or rename) is FastStone Photo Resizer.
Both are free software.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------