Pl@ntNet

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
ohugal

Pl@ntNet

Post by ohugal »

Do some of you use the application 'Pl@ntNet' (works for both mobile phone and desktop)? It's a peer reviewed plant identification app. https://identify.plantnet.org/the-plant-list/identify It's not waterproof, but seems to work for the most common species. I uploaded all the images of the botanical garden and will probably add the plants of my collection as soon as I have a bit more time.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Re: Pl@ntNet

Post by BryanT »

Yes, I used it from time to time over 4 years. The software will need lots of improvement to get the better accuracy. It's quite OK with some common flowering plant species, but not as good for cactus and succulent species. possible due to lots of cactus and succulent species look quite similar. Also very often, some people just click the Confirm button so the pictures will added to the database, but you can clearly see totally different species pictures being classified as one. That can caused a lot of confusions. There are millions of plants species, so it won't be an easy task.
Clearly most people who use the software are not plants expert, they relied on so called peer reviewed, so sometime can be too much unverified information been taken as truth.
I can recommend it for common plants identification, but if you need proper identification, you can use it as a starting point for your further research and identification purposes.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------