Trichodiadema densum ?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mrs.Green

Trichodiadema densum ?

Post by Mrs.Green »

Found these two today, wasn’t expecting to find them in a garden senter. Small plants( pot 5 cm) , hopefully the roots are still alive. Saoaking wet soil and on top of that placed in a closed terrarium. They were one my wishlist , so it was fun to find them.

From what I have read online, people have very different opinions on how easy they are to flower. Some say very easy , others claim to have had them for years without a single flower.

Any experiences to share? :)
Attachments
36259DB2-A3F5-4E27-B25D-29EB5599770C.jpeg
36259DB2-A3F5-4E27-B25D-29EB5599770C.jpeg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Aeonium2003

Re: Trichodiadema densum ?

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Either densum or bulbosum.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

A photo from the side would help. This is my T. bulbosum back in 2015. It's still growing, but I don't have a more current photo here. The pot is 6" in diameter. One summer deer ate all of the stems back to the roots. They all grew back. One time at work in the winter a mouse got in and damaged the exposed roots. Still growing. It has flowered, but very sparingly for me.
rsz_trichodiadema_bulbosum_1.jpg
rsz_trichodiadema_bulbosum_1.jpg (154.87 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:29 pm Either densum or bulbosum.
Thank you Aeonium2003 :)
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:42 pm A photo from the side would help. This is my T. bulbosum back in 2015. It's still growing, but I don't have a more current photo here. The pot is 6" in diameter. One summer deer ate all of the stems back to the roots. They all grew back. One time at work in the winter a mouse got in and damaged the exposed roots. Still growing. It has flowered, but very sparingly for me.
rsz_trichodiadema_bulbosum_1.jpg
Thnk you Jerrytheplater :) Will have to repot mine in bigger pots and a better medium. The current one seems to be very organic.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I just noticed in my picture you can see dried up flower remains. I know I didn't look for seeds.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Hi Mrs. Green,
Your plant should be Trichodiadema densum. They have longer leaves and shorter stems than bulbosum.
I have both of them, also T. mirabile and one hybrid between T. bulbosum X T. mirabile.
Normally they need full sun in colder months to flower. Their flowers open when the sun is up, and close in the evening.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

BryanT wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:12 am Hi Mrs. Green,
Your plant should be Trichodiadema densum. They have longer leaves and shorter stems than bulbosum.
I have both of them, also T. mirabile and one hybrid between T. bulbosum X T. mirabile.
Normally they need full sun in colder months to flower. Their flowers open when the sun is up, and close in the evening.
Thank you BryanT :)