HELP!! something is killing my claret cup cacti

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pao_bev

HELP!! something is killing my claret cup cacti

Post by pao_bev »

Hi guys, new member here! I'm reaching out to you for your help! I have a small collection of mostly claret cup cacti for a couple of years now, about 10 total. Yesterday, I noticed 2 of them have stems with black spots and dying from the top down (please see attached photos). They are growing outside and I just watered them last week for the first time, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I did an online search yesterday trying to find the cause of this is, and I kind of narrowed it down to bacteria and/or fungi.
What do I do? can I still save them? Thank you so much for your help!
IMG-20220415-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20220415-WA0014.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 977 times
IMG-20220415-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220415-WA0004.jpg (154.88 KiB) Viewed 977 times
jerrytheplater

Re: HELP!! something is killing my claret cup cacti

Post by jerrytheplater »

I know the question will come, so I'll ask it. Where are you growing? What part of the world? Avg lows in Temp? Avg highs? Rainfall? When?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
pao_bev

Post by pao_bev »

Hi Jerry,

my plants are in El Paso, TX. Right now, the average lows are in the 50s, highs in the 80s. Dry season right now, first watering was done a little over a week ago.
Now, for watering I use some DIG sprinklers. I always thought about changing that to something else, not knowing how cacti will react to spraying cold water to them. No problems for a couple of years, not even sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, I'm not exactly sure when the infection started.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

There is a member named Hegar that lives in El Paso, but he has not been online since before the site was down for a bit. He was last on September 25, 2022. He'd be able to help you. Your plants are native to your area, which is a plus. But what you are seeing, I can't help you with. Have you checked any garden centers that sell cacti, to ask them? I know there is a local cactus club by you too: El Paso Cactus and Rock Club. http://www.elpasodesert.com/epcrc/ I think Hegar is a member there. Next meeting is May 7th.

I just looked a bit at the EPCRC website and saw a suggestion to acidify your water before watering your plants using vinegar. If you get water from Fort Bliss, you don't need as much vinegar. Something pretty handy to know. You must have alkaline water.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I just searched DIG Sprinklers since I didn't know what they were. Drip irrigation it seems. Are you watering more than your local rainfall? I'd lean towards mimicking your local conditions.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
pao_bev

Post by pao_bev »

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your response. I have not contacted any garden centers yet. In fact, I'm only aware of one place. Most of my plants were bought online, with only a couple from my local nursery (rescued plants). I will go and see if I can get some help from them. I was thinking maybe it was best to publish here since there are people all over the country that may have seen what I have going on. I will also reach out to the EPCRC!

Do you think alkaline water has anything to do with it, plants look healthy for the most part.

I do water a little more than my local rainfall, I have some plants that are not native to the area. The system I have is not drip irrigation, it is actually sprinklers, so I was wondering if cold water spray may be the problem
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I doubt the water temperature has anything to do with your problem of black spots at the top of the plants. Could it be insect or bird damage? Water sitting on plants towards the evening is not good-it can cause rotting. If you water overhead, do it early in the AM to allow it to dry off before the full sun hits it. And to dry before evening.

Alkaline water. Most rain water is acidic and of very low mineral content. You may have very hard water. You would do well to ask Ad Konings at the El Paso club. His contact information is on the website. He'll give you your local information and knows your conditions. Much better than me trying to guess. I don't know what your tap water is like. He's the one that came up with the vinegar pH adjuster/fertilizer solution as spelled out on their site. I am sure Ad would speak to you. I met him once when he was giving a talk on African Cichlids, a tropical fish, up here in NJ.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
7george

Post by 7george »

Echinocereus triglochiadatus is a very tough cactus. I have one in my backyard surviving for years. It has some black spots on offsets (fungus) but is still alive. The cacti are able to isolate infected tissues from healthy ones and so resist the disease. So do not consider you cacti dead until turned into real mush. "More sunshine and less water" is the prescription for all fungal infections in our cacti.
Now, for watering I use some DIG sprinklers.
Cacti do not need sprinklers. Use manual watering only. I hope sprinklers do not go on every night as for rye-grass?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
pao_bev

Post by pao_bev »

Thank you guys! I don't think what I'm seeing is bird damage. I ended up cutting all the damaged stems to the point where healthy tissue was visible.

I will cut down watering for now. What do you mean by manual watering only? I use the sprinklers only 1-2 times a month outside of the raining season (late April - June)... then never use them again the rest of the year. Sprinkler system for my cacti is independent of my lawn.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I was wondering what was happening and if you got in touch with some of the club members.

Manual watering is watering each plant on its own with a watering can to keep the water off of the plant. More precise control of water.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ