Rotating Fertilizer Question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
OWgave

Rotating Fertilizer Question

Post by OWgave »

Hello Fellow Cacti Lovers-

I was wondering if I used quarter to half strength fertilizer/nutrient to gallon water ratio every time I would water my succulents, but rotate through different fertilizer/nutrients each time, would I be stressing or providing my succs a well covered nutes/ferts? Just thinking if they are missing some from one, the others will provide it.

Thanks for reading and MASS thanks for replying.
jerrytheplater

Re: Rotating Fertilizer Question

Post by jerrytheplater »

Not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking about using different fertilizer brands each time you fertilize? Are you talking about using single nutrients each time you fertilize?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello Jerry-

The question is, using different brands of fertilizer every time I water.

Sorry for the confusion.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Would it not be better to rotate on a yearly basis? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem right to change fertilizer with each watering (w/ fertilizer). I feel the different fertilizers might adversely interact with each other. A more scientific opinion would be enlightening.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I wouldn't worry about interactions - but that's too much fertilizer. If you're going to fertilize with every watering, use a very weak dilution, quarter- to half-strength is for fertilizing once or twice a year.
Spence :mrgreen:
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

greenknight wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 am I wouldn't worry about interactions - but that's too much fertilizer. If you're going to fertilize with every watering, use a very weak dilution, quarter- to half-strength is for fertilizing once or twice a year.
Hello GN-

Thank you for the rely, but how much would you recommend per gallon every watering?

Thank you,
OWgave
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

You can mix your fertilizers at each watering and you can use your half strength if you wanted but you will be wasting product and may run into salt buildup issues if you don’t flush with clean water between every few feet waterings.

If you don’t use near 100% mineral mix you may have issues even sooner. There are a few growers that have grown various cacti using this “hydro” grow. They have worked up and started using full strength hydro nutes.

I would use 1/8th strength each watering or even lower if every watering using fertilizer but I prefer a more natural looking cactus. 100% proper mineral mix depending on species you still do not need to fertilize as the cacti have adaptations to get minerals/nutrients from the rocks and air
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

LateBloomer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:19 pm You can mix your fertilizers at each watering and you can use your half strength if you wanted but you will be wasting product and may run into salt buildup issues if you don’t flush with clean water between every few feet waterings.

If you don’t use near 100% mineral mix you may have issues even sooner. There are a few growers that have grown various cacti using this “hydro” grow. They have worked up and started using full strength hydro nutes.

I would use 1/8th strength each watering or even lower if every watering using fertilizer but I prefer a more natural looking cactus. 100% proper mineral mix depending on species you still do not need to fertilize as the cacti have adaptations to get minerals/nutrients from the rocks and air
Thank you for replying LB-

I will keep your suggestions in mind and I will start slowly with the 1/8 strength.

Good Growing,
OWgave
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

You've had a lot of good replies. Another question: are you talking about the major nutrients N-P-K or the minor/trace nutrients: Ca, S, Mg, Cu, B, Mn, ....? But, in any case, cacti can get by with a lot of neglect. Salt build up in the potting mix is real. Mixing different brands can cause precipitation of some of the nutrients which will make them unavailable. It would be better not to mix brands, unless you read the labels to see what the sources of the nutrients are and if they are the same.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

quote=jerrytheplater post_id=392452 time=1650033222 user_id=17692]
You've had a lot of good replies. Another question: are you talking about the major nutrients N-P-K or the minor/trace nutrients: Ca, S, Mg, Cu, B, Mn, ....? But, in any case, cacti can get by with a lot of neglect. Salt build up in the potting mix is real. Mixing different brands can cause precipitation of some of the nutrients which will make them unavailable. It would be better not to mix brands, unless you read the labels to see what the sources of the nutrients are and if they are the same.
[/quote]

Hello JTP-

Thank you for the reply. I guess it mainly comes down to the NPK. After doing ALOT of research and reading how this or that bottle does wonders for succulents, i thought i’d just rotate these wonder makers when I water the plants. I know that succulents grow in nutrient deprived environments, but I would like to provide them with a little better conditions to thrive in, Yes, i will flush their pots (mostly pons without fertilizer mixed in) in between ferts.

Good Growing,
OWgave
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lot of good info here. I'll just add this suggestion: figure out about how many times a year you water. For instance, if you average every two weeks for 6 months of the year, that's about 12 waterings. Then divide half strength (half strength fertilizer one a year is plenty) by the number of waterings - you'd get 1/24 strength in that case.
Spence :mrgreen:
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

OWgave wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 pm I was wondering if I used quarter to half strength fertilizer/nutrient to gallon water ratio every time I would water my
I presume the instructions on the container say PER GALLON? You need to follow the instructions to work out what ''full strength'' is.
For example, if they recommend fertilizing full strength once per month and you water once per week, you can give 1/4 strength once per week. (or less ) Fertilizer companies want you to use as much as possible but that is not necessarily best for the plant. They usually arrive a concentration just below what would damage the plant. I use mainly controlled release fertilizer so they get a little every time I water (which is closest to nature of course) but what actually comes out of the prills at any watering is so low you can barely register it with the EC meter. That gives you some idea how little feeding you need for healthy growth! In other words, you can use as little as 1/16th or 1/32nd strength and you will probably still get good growth. As for different brands, makes no difference. Just follow the instructions. Some preparations a re very strong and some are very weak. Always know the concentration of NPK in the solution you are giving.
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Thank you all for chiming in.

I do realize i have to cut down on the recommended fertilizer to gallon ratio to use different brands of nutrients/fertilizers everytime I water, but did not realize i should go even lower than 1/4 strength. I will put this advice into my fertilizing regiment.

Again, THANK YOU all.

OWgave