Aquarium Gravel?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

Aquarium Gravel?

Post by fanaticactus »

The new growing season is beginning here, and I will have some potting up to do. When I consider gravel as an additive for drainage--I already have some roughly one-quarter inch pieces of crushed granite--is it OK to also use aquarium gravel to mix in for smaller pieces? Most do not have rough edges...they're mostly rounded. The bags say they may leach out small amounts of minerals. I recognize those trace elements as also beneficial to cacti. Is it reasonable, then, to use this type of gravel with the crushed granite? I will also be using sifted traction sand (no chemicals added) to the organic mix.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
jerrytheplater

Re: Aquarium Gravel?

Post by jerrytheplater »

I use what used to be called #3 Quartz in the late 60's aquarium trade in my mixes. It is the old style aquarium gravel. Is what you plan to use a commercial aquarium gravel? A lot of the colored ones are epoxy coated and would be smooth and inert. Estes is one manufacturer.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that some aquarium gravel does have some sort of coating on it. I read the bag carefully to see if it mentioned anything about that. I was more concerned that any type of coating might be harmful to the cacti. I didn't see any mention of a coating. These aren't colored...they're more the natural color of stones--various shades of brown (some almost yellow) and black. Today I went to Lowe's and got some paver's sand and some pea gravel. I think I might stick with those anyway in the mix and maybe use the aquarium gravel as a top dressing to give a more 'finished' appearance.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Pavers sand? You mean the really fine stuff? Not such a good idea to use. I kind of hesitate to say that seeing your post count. I have started sifting out all particles that go through a window screen. Otherwise the mix turns very hard and does not drain well.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Fine sand holds water like clay. I personally use Sankrete all purpose sand, because it is usually very course sand for a decent price ($5 for 60 pounds).
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Unfortunately, the moisture in the bagged paver's sand/grit had condensed on the inside of the plastic bag, rendering the contents very difficult to see. But it felt fairly granular, and there was another bag that had a small hole in it and a bit of the contents had spilled out. It looked usable but I will be sifting it anyway. If that doesn't work, I have Sakrete traction sand left over from this winter and I'll be sifting out the fines from that anyway. I always read in many publications and on line that paver's sand was the correct sand to use. Maybe there are different kinds that can still be called 'paver's sand'?
keith

Post by keith »

I bought fill gravel ( forget the name the cheapest stuff in a 40lb plastic bag ) at Home Depot its small rock mostly chips and shifted it through a 1/4" screen. Bigger size that doesn't fall through the screen for big plants smaller size for small plants. Plus useful for topping around the top of the plant. I wash it first its dirty dusty.

I use sand but its all different small sizes from tiny to 1/8" and mostly for seedlings and Mesembs. I wash the sand first also.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

keith wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:50 am I bought fill gravel ( forget the name the cheapest stuff in a 40lb plastic bag ) at Home Depot its small rock mostly chips and shifted it through a 1/4" screen. Bigger size that doesn't fall through the screen for big plants smaller size for small plants. Plus useful for topping around the top of the plant. I wash it first its dirty dusty.

I use sand but its all different small sizes from tiny to 1/8" and mostly for seedlings and Mesembs. I wash the sand first also.
Thanks for this info. I got something very similar to what you describe as 'fill gravel'. I think I'll combine that with some poultry grit--roughly the same size--and some sifted 'traction sand' (Sakrete) without any added salt or chemicals, just the larger pieces. I'll attempt mixing my mineral base today; my new cacti arrived yesterday.