how do I conophytum

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
PseudolithosLover

how do I conophytum

Post by PseudolithosLover »

I just bought a bunch of stuff on pure impulse and it’s only occurring to me now that I haven’t the daftest clue how to care for conophytum cubicum. Any help?
Trade with me :) Always looking to expand my collection! :D
greenknight

Re: how do I conophytum

Post by greenknight »

Don't water it!

Seriously. This is when they go dormant. Here's a site with care instructions: https://succulentalley.com/conophytum/# ... Conophytum
Spence :mrgreen:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

keith

Post by keith »

My collection of conophytums is going dormant now even though its only April . Under shade cloth and I might mist them a little in Summer.

The months old seedlings I will try and keep growing but they go dormant anyway . I grow them in small pots with Pumice, sand and Store bought compost which is peat and pine pieces. Lithops go dormant later in the year for me usually middle of Summer then start again in late Summer just like Conophytums. Cactus grow all Summer.
PseudolithosLover

Post by PseudolithosLover »

Thanks for all the info guys! It’s gonna be sitting in my windowsill unwatered until October! Does that sound good guys?
Trade with me :) Always looking to expand my collection! :D
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

PseudolithosLover wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:37 pm Thanks for all the info guys! It’s gonna be sitting in my windowsill unwatered until October! Does that sound good guys?
You can give it a splash of water late August or early September already, to helpt it to wake up. Then start watering when you really see active growth (later in September or maybe even earlier, depending on the species). I water mine between late August and early April, depending on the weather and how active the plants are early or late in the season.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Helpful thread… I also randomly started some lithops which I assume can be cultivated identical to conophytum… got some c362 seeds from a Ukrainian grower when I bought some other seeds from him. Never grew lithops before so glad I found this thread
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

LateBloomer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:11 pm Helpful thread… I also randomly started some lithops which I assume can be cultivated identical to conophytum… got some c362 seeds from a Ukrainian grower when I bought some other seeds from him. Never grew lithops before so glad I found this thread
Nope - there are similarities, but Lithops are summer growers. See this thread for detailed growing info: https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10071

Lithops are surprisingly easy to grow from seed. Unlike other Mesembryanthemums, they like humidity in the seedling stage. You can start them like Cacti in a baggie or other sealed container, and grow them that way for months - this would be deadly to other Mesembs such as Conos. They will stay in the seedling stage, though, just little blobs - they won't produce their first true leaves until you dry them out. Then the seed leaves will shrivel up, and true leaves emerge, and they'll look like miniature versions of their adult form.

After that you water them very sparingly, wait until they start to wrinkle from drying out. The first season they will go through several cycles of shriveling up and producing new leaves, after this they'll do this just once a year.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Oops I swear I read they are winter growers lol so I started seeds now in the fall… I have mild winters rarely reaching 0c so hopefully it’ll be fine like my cacti seedlings in my winters.

Thanks for the link
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They should do fine - might even be the best way in your climate.

We have another member in Brasil (an even warmer part) who has posted a lot about his experiences growing Mesembs, other succulents, and Cacti in a tropical climate, you should check out those threads as well (if you haven't already). The first is a really long thread about growing from seed, not really about Lithops, while the second is specifically about growing Mesembs :

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=37654

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38276