Self-fertile succulents

Create seed of your own
DieTer-Xz

Self-fertile succulents

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Hi

I was curious which succulent species are self-fertile? In particular, I would like to know that about Astrophytum asterias 'Super Kabuto' and Frithia pulchra. These are the ones that are flowering right now.
Also, does self-sterile also means that the 2 plants you use for pollination need to be unrelated (different parents)?
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

interesting questions:

Self-fertile is the ability of a plant to reproduce (set seed) without a partner.

Self-sterile
means that a plant cannot reproduce using its own pollen. If two plants are clones of each other, that won't work either.

I have several Astrophytum super kabuto. You can fertilise them with pollen from one another or they will happily hybridise with pollen from a myriostigma.

My Frithia pulchra is also flowering well at the moment, but I have not been able to get it to set seed.

Hope this helps,
John
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

Epithelantha micromeris is self-fertile and also some of the Notocacti (apricus, herteri, mammulosus) but not all. And certainly not Astrophytums.

Eduart
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Thank you, nice Frithia!

Lucky me, I just bought an Epithelantha micromeris var. neomexicana. Recently got seeds of Melocactus bahiensis... Melocacti are self-fertile too, I heard?