Brown coloration along Astrophytum ornatum ribs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Angel

Brown coloration along Astrophytum ornatum ribs

Post by Angel »

1a6ad158-81fb-4ccf-817d-e5c137331471.jpg
1a6ad158-81fb-4ccf-817d-e5c137331471.jpg (68.23 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Hi guys,

I bought this A. ornatum a few weeks ago. I got it as you can see it on the attached picture. It has a strange brown/dark green coloration along four of the eight ribs and at the base of the stem as well. Stem and ribs aren't soft/mushy and the root system looks healthy. I was wondering what that odd coloration might be. I did a quick search on the forum but found nothing alike. I'm worried it could be rotting/pest. I hope you can help me figure out what is going on with my beloved cactus.

P.S. Catus is about 2'' in diameter

Cheers,
Angel
Tom in Tucson

Re: Brown coloration along Astrophytum ornatum ribs

Post by Tom in Tucson »

2 cents worth of advice:

If you want to reduce "corking" of the base, reduce the amount of organic material in the soil.

This species is somewhat sensitive to direct sun until it is over 4" high.

Good luck, and I hope you buy, and enjoy many more Astrophytum!
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Angel,
It has a strange brown/dark green coloration along four of the eight ribs
I think the colour is just stain which will not affect any on the cactus.
You should not water over the body of Astrophytum species.

Frank
Angel

Post by Angel »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:32 pm 2 cents worth of advice:

If you want to reduce "corking" of the base, reduce the amount of organic material in the soil.

This species is somewhat sensitive to direct sun until it is over 4" high.

Good luck, and I hope you buy, and enjoy many more Astrophytum!
Thanks for your valuble advice, Tom!. I'll sure buy and enjoy many more Astrophytum cacti
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hanazono wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:13 am G'morning Angel,
It has a strange brown/dark green coloration along four of the eight ribs
I think the colour is just stain which will not affect any on the cactus.
You should not water over the body of Astrophytum species.

Frank
Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll keep it in mind next time I water my A. ornatum
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I have not figured out yet why everyone keeps saying don't get your cactus wet. In nature rain falls from the sky. I water all 800 plants in my collection with a hose from the top. They get wet. I do take certain precautions though.
1-I water in the morning just around sunrise. Coolest part of the day. The root systems are active. The pores of the plants are open. And, it gives time for the water on the plant surface to dry before sun contact.
2- I never water if there is a chance the plants will be in direct sunlight. An invitation to sunburn and sun stress. Also, as soon as it starts to heat up the plants shut down. Surface pores close and the roots stop absorbing water.
3- I stopped long ago watering at night. To many times a pot/soil stays wet and the temperatures drop to low. i lost 24 plants last year with the night time watering schedule. Partially due to the fact that temps never dropped below 90°f for 6 days in a row. The plants never had a chance.
4- I now have an 18" fan running 24 hrs in the greenhouse. I supplement that after watering with a 12" fan for the day to make sure I get full air circulation in the greenhouse.
I have 5 Astrophytum Frank. You are the king of Astrophytum and I hold you in high regard for your knowledge. Mine get watered from above and I have had no issues.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Mike,
4- I now have an 18" fan running 24 hrs in the greenhouse. I supplement that after watering with a 12" fan for the day to make sure I get full air circulation in the greenhouse.
You have a good facility. Full air circulation in the greenhouse can minimize the stain over Astrophytum body.

Since a Japanese professional astrias grower kept very white asterias, I asked him how he could.
Stain over white asterias body reduced the value of product which was white asterias for him.
He told me a fan to circulate greenhouse was essential for keeping white asterias.

If you kept wet astrophytum longer, stain will penetrate into flecking.
Since I am just a hobby cactus collector, my greenhouses have no fans. My astrophytum have stain.

Frank