What other genera are confirmed to be able to hybridize with Astrophytum?

Create seed of your own
KonureKing

Post by KonureKing »

I can't seem to find a comprehensive list specifically for Astrophytum anywhere online. Astrophytum is my favorite genus of cactus and I am really interested in creating intergeneric hybrids with it.
gemhunter178

Re: What other genera are confirmed to be able to hybridize with Astrophytum?

Post by gemhunter178 »

I'm unsure about other genera, but Astrobergia is a well-known cross between Astrophytum and Leuchtenbergia. I'm not an expert on cacti lineages but that might provide other options on what hybrids may work.

As Leuchtenbergia are 'weird Ferocactus' in some form, perhaps an Astro x Fero can be made? If you count chimeras it appears there's already some Astrophytum caput-medusae x Ferocactus glaucescens on the European market, though I only just looked this up so no guarantees on legitimacy. (…but if you count chimeras then any graft-compatible plant can theoretically make a 'hybrid')
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I don't think there are any confirmed intergeneric hybrids with Astrophytum. Astrobergia has long been suspected to be nothing more than a "kikko" cultivar (elongated tubercles) of Astrophytum ornatum and in my limited experience I agree. I'm not sure how up to date this is, but I believe Astrophytum and Echinocactus are sister clades? I wonder if anyone has experimented crossing these two.
KonureKing

Post by KonureKing »

I do think Echinocatus hybrids are possible with Astrophytum. I've heard reports that Astrophytum ornatum is an ancient hybrid between Astrophytum myriostigma and an echinocatus that became self-perpetuating in the wild. I'm pretty sure Aztekium is a pretty close genetic relative of Astrophytum but I haven't heard of any successful crosses. I've also heard of an Astrophytum asterias X Lophophora williamsii cross but have never seen photos to back this claim up.
Antaviana

Post by Antaviana »

Last summer, I did some weird cross-pollination between intergenus cacti. One of them being an Astrophytum ornatum. The other ones were Parodia warasii, Thelocactus setispinus and G. Mihanovichii. The problem is that I did uncontrolled crossings between these four, shame on me for the day I took my brush and started to pick pollen from flower to flower without any control. I did some other crossings in a more controlled way, except for these ones.

But I hope that in some months-years, maybe we finally know who were the father and the mother of these six seedlings.

Only four can be seen in this picture, but by now there are still six alive:
photo_2022-12-25_23-51-12.jpg
photo_2022-12-25_23-51-12.jpg (145.37 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Perhaps none of them are sons of the Astrophytum, only time will tell.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

To me these appear to be Notocactus (Parodia) warasii. Most Notocactus are self fertile, and there's a good chance that your zealous pollenization method generated some seed.

As far as the answer to the original question, AFAIK Astrophytum has only been known to hybridize with Leuchtenbergia.
Antaviana

Post by Antaviana »

The seeds came from the Thelocactus pod, so at least the seedlings must have some characteristics from it. As you say, probably would be a Parodia x Thelocactus hybrid, if this is biologically possible.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Antaviana wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:52 pm The seeds came from the Thelocactus pod, so at least the seedlings must have some characteristics from it. As you say, probably would be a Parodia x Thelocactus hybrid, if this is biologically possible.
Hamatocactus (Thelocactus) setispinus are occasionally self fertile. A cross with Parodia is doubtful.
Antaviana

Post by Antaviana »

Thanks a lot for your help! I am a total newby in cacti assisted pollination. Thelocactus will be then.