Sulcorebutia scion induces flowering in Opuntia compressa stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mrs.Green

Sulcorebutia scion induces flowering in Opuntia compressa stock

Post by Mrs.Green »

https://www.cactus-art.biz/gallery/Sulc ... lowers.htm

I came over this on cactusart.biz. Interesting, I wonder if its only O.compressa stock who reacts to Sulcorebutia scions, this way ?
One Windowsill

Re: Sulcorebutia scion induces flowering in Opuntia compressa stock

Post by One Windowsill »

That is rather remarkable and fascinating. The real test would be a saguaro.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

One Windowsill wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:23 pm That is rather remarkable and fascinating. The real test would be a saguaro.
Yes . Grafting in reverse so to speak :) Were the scion isn’t the main focus but the stocks reaction to the scion.
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

This is amazing. Must be some sort of signal the Sulcorebutias are trying to send to their roots and that ends up inducing flowering in the Opuntia stock, would be interesting to know what exactly it is.
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

eulaspiegel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:53 am This is amazing. Must be some sort of signal the Sulcorebutias are trying to send to their roots and that ends up inducing flowering in the Opuntia stock, would be interesting to know what exactly it is.
Agree :) I hoped someone here on Cactiguide had tried Sulcorebutia scions on other stock and could tell us if it induces flowering in other species too.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Very interesting! I have some Sulcorebutia plants with many offsets that I may be willing to use to experiment...
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:03 am Very interesting! I have some Sulcorebutia plants with many offsets that I may be willing to use to experiment...
Do you have a ten-foot tall saguaro you could perch a graft on? :D
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:03 am Very interesting! I have some Sulcorebutia plants with many offsets that I may be willing to use to experiment...
Please do, it would be really interesting to see if other cacti reacts the same way as the pictured Opuntias. :)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

One Windowsill wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:30 am Do you have a ten-foot tall saguaro you could perch a graft on? :D
Nothing so lofty, no :lol:
But I do have Selenicereus (grandiflorus?) and Harrisia jusbertii to play around with.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Just curious, but where did you find Harrisia jusbertii stock? I can't seem to find it here in the US.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:50 pm Just curious, but where did you find Harrisia jusbertii stock? I can't seem to find it here in the US.
I bought grafted plants online that had H. jusbertii as stock. Three of the scions developed rust and/or dry rot infection and shriveled to oblivion, but the stock was unaffected (one scion had a single small offset survive). So now I have two Harrisia plants ready for offset production. :)