Oddly grafted cacti or?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mrs.Green

Oddly grafted cacti or?

Post by Mrs.Green »

https://www.reddit.com/r/cactus/comment ... ted_cacti/

Came over this on reddit. Looking at the pics of the two Echinopsis scions ,I noticed that the growing points of the plants seems to be not on top as expected but more sideways. Are the two scions really grafted ‘sideways’ or could it be that the stronger green parts of the scions forced the growing points downward?

The scions also caught my attention in another way, it looks almost as they could have been two different plants grafted together, one green part and the rest yellow?

Anyone who have seen this particular variegation ( or whatever it is) in Echinopsis before, with this strange growth form?
Aeonium2003

Re: Oddly grafted cacti or?

Post by Aeonium2003 »

My guess is that they grafted variegated echinopsis scions, and maybe the albino part is weaker, and the Chlorophylled part is stronger? I doubt that they would graft a chlorophylled and an albino scions together. It definitely is variegation, the definition of variegation, is when I plant has two colors. Variegation does not strictly have to be chlorophyll and albino, but could be the amount of anthocyanin. Take Aeonium 'big bang' as an example.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:10 am Are the two scions really grafted ‘sideways’ or could it be that the stronger green parts of the scions forced the growing points downward?
I'll add in another possibility: the appearance is because of a weird camera angle (I think this is less likely than your theories, but it's possible)

I think the green part is growing differently than the yellow part and causing the distortion in the pictures. I've seen this in Crassulaceae before. It seems like the variegated tissue doesn't "fit" with the normal tissue
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 pm My guess is that they grafted variegated echinopsis scions, and maybe the albino part is weaker, and the Chlorophylled part is stronger? I doubt that they would graft a chlorophylled and an albino scions together. It definitely is variegation, the definition of variegation, is when I plant has two colors. Variegation does not strictly have to be chlorophyll and albino, but could be the amount of anthocyanin. Take Aeonium 'big bang' as an example.
Thank you :) I also belive that the scion, is one plant but it did look odd. The green parts seems to be growing much more than the variegated ones. Isn’t the definition of variegation two or more colours? :)
Shane wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:39 am [quote=Mrs.Green post_id=390594 time=<a href="tel:1641553814">1641553814</a> user_id=17196]
Are the two scions really grafted ‘sideways’ or could it be that the stronger green parts of the scions forced the growing points downward?
I'll add in another possibility: the appearance is because of a weird camera angle (I think this is less likely than your theories, but it's possible)

I think the green part is growing differently than the yellow part and causing the distortion in the pictures. I've seen this in Crassulaceae before. It seems like the variegated tissue doesn't "fit" with the normal tissue
[/quote]

Thank you :) You are right about the camera angle but I am not sure that’s the whole explanation . The second part of your answer seems more likely to my inexperienced eyes :)