Cactiseed and frost?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mrs.Green

Cactiseed and frost?

Post by Mrs.Green »

This may be a dumb question but.. Looking at the seedlists I started to wonder about the frosttolerance in cactiseed? I would assume that this would vary from species to species, depending on their natural habitats temperatures, or I am wrong? Is it safe to send seed in the post, even though the temperature is -20 degrees celsius in my area , when the seed arrives?
7george

Re: Cactiseed and frost?

Post by 7george »

I think that all seeds (not only cactus ones) are cold tolerant. Because of very low water content of their tissues. That is the thing they are designed for: to withstand harsh unfavourable conditions until time to germinate and grow comes. Even some of them may pass the scarification process needed for those living in cold habitats.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you 7george :) I am tempted to try then. Funny, less than a year ago I was sure that sowing cacti wasn’t for me at all! After trying sowing the seeds from a H.setispinus fruit , I changed my mind about sowing. I may be overly confident , its my understanding that H.setispinus is an easy species when it comes to sowing? So an attempt with other species may be a dissapointment :p
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

H.setispinus is an easy one, but there are plenty of others that aren't difficult. Opuntias are generally very easy after germination, getting them to break out of their hard seed coat is the only difficulty, thus chipping and soaking the seeds is recommended.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

greenknight wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:14 am H.setispinus is an easy one, but there are plenty of others that aren't difficult. Opuntias are generally very easy after germination, getting them to break out of their hard seed coat is the only difficulty, thus chipping and soaking the seeds is recommended.
Thank you Greenknight :) As mentioned in my own ‘blog’ here, I think I will try without the chipping part first..One thing is chipping big seeds like sunflower or something similar ..I see a lot of possibilities for injuries in both ends here.. :lol: Hopefully at least a couple of seed will sprout without any sharp instruments involved?
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:53 am Is it safe to send seed in the post, even though the temperature is -20 degrees celsius in my area
They should be fine. I have often stored cactus seeds in a freezer, and so far germination has been the same as with fresh seeds.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you Luddhus :) Then there should be no problems sending seed in the post during the winter.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:41 am
greenknight wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:14 am H.setispinus is an easy one, but there are plenty of others that aren't difficult. Opuntias are generally very easy after germination, getting them to break out of their hard seed coat is the only difficulty, thus chipping and soaking the seeds is recommended.
Thank you Greenknight :) As mentioned in my own ‘blog’ here, I think I will try without the chipping part first..One thing is chipping big seeds like sunflower or something similar ..I see a lot of possibilities for injuries in both ends here.. :lol: Hopefully at least a couple of seed will sprout without any sharp instruments involved?
There are other methods, as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GP6QUuE2JQ&t=135s

In nature, fungi help to weaken the seed coat, as shown in this study: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ral_Mexico

Trichoderma harzianum, one of the fungi that was found to be effective, is available as an inoculant.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you very much Greenknight! :) You always provide a lot of interesting info!