Weird crust on Equinopsis

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Virginia

Weird crust on Equinopsis

Post by Virginia »

Hi everyone,

I have this tiny Equinopsis (or that's what I think it is, based on Google searches), 4/5 cm tall, that seems to be surviving despite this weird crust / scab around it (see pics). Is this normal? Is the poor thing surviving despite some sort of fungi growing on it?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you might have, Virginia
Attachments
equinopsis 1.jpg
equinopsis 1.jpg (219.21 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Equinopsis 2.jpg
Equinopsis 2.jpg (151.72 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Equinopsis 3.jpg
Equinopsis 3.jpg (150.32 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Weird crust on Equinopsis

Post by Steve Johnson »

Virginia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:01 pmI have this tiny Equinopsis (or that's what I think it is, based on Google searches), 4/5 cm tall, that seems to be surviving despite this weird crust / scab around it (see pics). Is this normal? Is the poor thing surviving despite some sort of fungi growing on it?
Sorry for being picky about it, but the genus name is Echinopsis, not Equinopsis. And no, I don't think it's fungal growth -- I'd say premature corking. As I recommended for your Trichocereus pachanoi cristata and Blue Torch:
  • Unpot the plant and clean the soil out of the roots as thoroughly as possible -- squeaky-clean or at least close to it.
  • Soak the roots in 1% Hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes (longer is fine). This does 2 things -- first it kills any potential plant pathogens that could induce rot. Second, it promotes faster healing of the roots when they settle in after repotting.
  • Let the roots dry out completely, then repot the plant in fresh, dry mix.
Unlike your other two cacti, Echinopsis actually enjoys some organic material in the mix, so all I think you'll need to do is lean it out more with mineral gravel -- maybe 50% soil and 50% gravel. One thing, though -- when you clean the soil out, check to see if the roots look healthy. If any of the roots look rotten, trim back to get only healthy roots before you soak them in 1% peroxide. You may also need to transplant the Echinopsis into a smaller pot. It appears that your current pot may be too big for it anyway.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

OFFTOP Nice word - Equinopsis - "horse-like" :D
Virginia

Post by Virginia »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the correction! My mistake comes from the fact that 'ch' in English is phonetically the same as 'qu' in Spanish (my mother tongue), and I mixed them up :)

Right, I just learnt about 'corking' - I didn't know some cacti show ageing like that. How interesting. Then, the repotting, changing soil etc would be preventative, right?

Thank you again for all your help!
Virginia
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Virginia wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:37 pmRight, I just learnt about 'corking' - I didn't know some cacti show ageing like that. How interesting. Then, the repotting, changing soil etc would be preventative, right?
Yes, and it may actually reverse the corking. If not, the plant will grow out of it. I don't have any experience growing Echinopsis, so unfortunately I can't tell you if the genus is prone to age-related corking.
Virginia wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:37 pmThank you again for all your help!
You're welcome! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:01 am OFFTOP Nice word - Equinopsis - "horse-like" :D
Equinox was in June... :D
Grandma's cactus is a tough plant and will be fine. If not:--> just ask neighbours for another pup... :cheers:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8