First winter: how to?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
From0to10in2weeks

First winter: how to?

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi all,

I am wondering how to best guide my seedlings (sown Feb 2021) through their first winter. They are indoors behind an east facing window.

Many of them are about 1 cm in diameter. But I have a few species that are still smaller.

Also, is it too late to repot them?

Thanks. Best.
Jangaudi

Re: First winter: how to?

Post by Jangaudi »

What I do is give them a winter rest, but a short one, they can handle. So keep watering them lightly until deep in winter, given the temperature isn't too low, a short dry period, and then restart light watering early spring. That's what I do, others could have a different approach ;)
Repotting is best during the resting period, if you need to at all after just one year. If you keep them in the same soil and just fetilize a bit next growing season they will be fine. Repotting small seedlings can stunt growth.
7george

Post by 7george »

No, it's not too late to re-pot small seedling. These generally tend to grow longer than adult plants even year-round for 1st year or two. But keeping large and small ones together is not maybe the best option because seedlings have different needs at different ages. So better these to be separated by sizes and species (or groups) to avoid competitions, overwatering, crowding. Also check if the windowsill is not too cold if you plan watering the smallest that can not spend whole winter dry.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
From0to10in2weeks

Jangaudi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 am What I do is give them a winter rest, but a short one, they can handle. So keep watering them lightly until deep in winter, given the temperature isn't too low, a short dry period, and then restart light watering early spring. That's what I do, others could have a different approach ;)
Repotting is best during the resting period, if you need to at all after just one year. If you keep them in the same soil and just fetilize a bit next growing season they will be fine. Repotting small seedlings can stunt growth.
Hi, thanks for the detailed description. As we are both in similar climates would you mind specifying what you mean with „deep winter“ and „early spring“? And do you use grow lights during that time?
I have two pots that are really crowded. Like I can’t see the top of the soil anymore. And the individual seedlings are pretty big already. All the others I’ll leave in their pots.

Thanks. Best.
From0to10in2weeks

7george wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 pm No, it's not too late to re-pot small seedling. These generally tend to grow longer than adult plants even year-round for 1st year or two. But keeping large and small ones together is not maybe the best option because seedlings have different needs at different ages. So better these to be separated by sizes and species (or groups) to avoid competitions, overwatering, crowding. Also check if the windowsill is not too cold if you plan watering the smallest that can not spend whole winter dry.
Thanks. Last winter in the coldest nights the temperature on the window sill dropped to 15 C. But I’ll also place all pots on wooden boards or styrofoam to insulate them from the cold „stone plate“ the window sill is made of.

Best.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

From0to10in2weeks wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 am As we are both in similar climates would you mind specifying what you mean with „deep winter“ and „early spring“? And do you use grow lights during that time?
I have two pots that are really crowded. Like I can’t see the top of the soil anymore. And the individual seedlings are pretty big already. All the others I’ll leave in their pots.
Hmm, I haven't a date in mind, but I guess large cacti would be given water last time in october, so I would water (light) my seedlings up to end of november, or even into december, if temperature is not too low. Usually around here, january / february is the coldest period.
I don't use grow lights on seedlings that are more than a year old, as I need my lights for a new batch :D . I just put them close to the window somewhere.
If you have to repot large seedlings that should be fine, but I'd wait until their dry period for that.
From0to10in2weeks

Jangaudi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 am Hmm, I haven't a date in mind, but I guess large cacti would be given water last time in october, so I would water (light) my seedlings up to end of november, or even into december, if temperature is not too low. Usually around here, january / february is the coldest period.
I don't use grow lights on seedlings that are more than a year old, as I need my lights for a new batch :D . I just put them close to the window somewhere.
If you have to repot large seedlings that should be fine, but I'd wait until their dry period for that.
Thanks!
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

I water once a month and seems to keep them nice n healthy
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you can provide adequate light and warmth, you can keep them growing through the first winter. Natural light in your winter isn't adequate for that, give them just enough water to keep them from shriveling.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Jangaudi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 am What I do is give them a winter rest, but a short one, they can handle. So keep watering them lightly until deep in winter, given the temperature isn't too low, a short dry period, and then restart light watering early spring. That's what I do, others could have a different approach ;)
This is a good approach to follow. At new common containers leave at least 2 diameters in between seedlings, in a year or 2 they will start touching each other again. Also if you have heating source under windowsills this can cause extra drying up or some growth depending on the species or individual size so check them regularly about this.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8