Any hope of re-rooting an old Schlumbergera?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mrs.Green

Any hope of re-rooting an old Schlumbergera?

Post by Mrs.Green »

I was gifted this Schlumbergera, who according to the previous owner hadn’t been repotted for years and hadn’t had the best conditions.

Taking it out of the pot, the soil was a hard lump( even after soaking the soil) with some mold in. Freeing it from the soil, it became evident that only a small part of the main stem was still alive. The rest was just fibres I plucked off. What was left of the roots unfortunately broke off.

As seen , the lower parts of the stems are pretty woody and dry.

The question is; is there any chance or hope for new roots to form, from the woody parts? If it possible I would prefer not to cut it up in pieces, but keep it as it is.

If there is a possibility for new roots as it is, would it be best to root it in water or just pot it in soil? The plant have been drying for some days now.
Attachments
The whole plant
The whole plant
8201A9C1-8A6A-42DF-9AA4-D9853016AE26.jpeg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Circled area shows the live part of the stem
Circled area shows the live part of the stem
101C2283-ABAA-4939-862B-AAEFE9A4E18A.jpeg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Lower part of plant
Lower part of plant
2DEB105D-C61B-48D8-84DD-4EFEF2895182.jpeg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
DaveW

Re: Any hope of re-rooting an old Schlumbergera?

Post by DaveW »

You need to cut the base back to green tissue then let it callous over. The question is will you get to live tissue before you finish up with three separate pieces? I have rooted small cuttings using the damp paper kitchen towel method in a transparent plastic sandwich box, but whether it would work with a bigger plant in a plastic bag I do not know?

He uses the transparent sandwich box method to root Schlumbergera joints for grafting on here, but you may need a plastic bag to root a bigger plant unless you have a large enough plastic container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuj5b9xTg2U

Also see:-

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ro ... &FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ro ... ORM=VDRVRV
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:07 am

If there is a possibility for new roots as it is,
No. This is an extremely poor candidate for rooting down. Even if you get a root or 2 they will be very weak. I'm afraid you will have to start it again with healthy cuttings from (preferably) green parts. Or risk losing the whole thing from dehydration.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you very much DaveW and MikeInOz :)

I have already rooted some other Schlumbergera cuttings in water, but they were all green. The grafting video was interesting, I am tempted trying, next year. If I can overcome my unwillingness to cut live plants.. :-k

The mount on moss I have also tried, or rather I just stuck small ‘cuttings’ of Schlumbergera and Hatiora in live moss, and they rooted and grew.

I was prepared for the ‘no’answer, as I belived it to be unlikely to root the wooden parts. I asked just to be sure though. To make matters worse, its fall here now and I don’t think that would help either.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I'd also advice to cut till healthy green tissue, put rooting powder on and let it in peace for a couple of weeks, then to plant using beforehand installed sticks for holding the crown. Don't plant deeply, it's not safe with cacti.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I found the most reliable method of rooting these - even delicate species - is to place the cuttings in a zip-lock bag (with or without a drop of water) and keep them in a warm bright place. They will all send out roots eventually and can be more safely potted up after that.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:07 am I'd also advice to cut till healthy green tissue, put rooting powder on and let it in peace for a couple of weeks, then to plant using beforehand installed sticks for holding the crown. Don't plant deeply, it's not safe with cacti.
Thank you Anttisepp :) Yes, I have realized that rooting it as it is isn’t a good idea.. I put the plant or rather the stem in a glass of water, just to try keeping it hydrated a few days before cutting it. The water got cloudy after one day only, a bad sign.

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:20 am I found the most reliable method of rooting these - even delicate species - is to place the cuttings in a zip-lock bag (with or without a drop of water) and keep them in a warm bright place. They will all send out roots eventually and can be more safely potted up after that.
Thank you MikeInOz :) I have seen the zip-lock bag method used on the net and some people add a bit of papertowel ( with a bit of water) in the bag too. Is there any advantages of adding paper too?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Mrs.Green wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Thank you MikeInOz :) I have seen the zip-lock bag method used on the net and some people add a bit of papertowel ( with a bit of water) in the bag too. Is there any advantages of adding paper too?
Probably in some circumstances. I found found that if you have say 10 cuttings in the bag they give off enough humidity on their own.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MikeInOz wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 am

Probably in some circumstances. I found found that if you have say 10 cuttings in the bag they give off enough humidity on their own.
Thank you MikeInOz :) My bad, I wasn’t clear enough . What I meant was if there are any advantages in putting both paper and water in the zip-lock bag? If the cutting is a bit dehydrated and I add a little bit of water in the bag, what is the point of the paper?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:41 am
MikeInOz wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 am

Thank you MikeInOz :) My bad, I wasn’t clear enough . What I meant was if there are any advantages in putting both paper and water in the zip-lock bag? If the cutting is a bit dehydrated and I add a little bit of water in the bag, what is the point of the paper?
The point of the paper is too soak up any free water
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I always rooted cuttings of normal Schlumbergera hybrids by just sticking them in a small pot of my usual mix, they rarely failed to root. They'd bloom the next year if I left them in the small pots (they bloom best when slightly root-bound). Usually get one flower on a small cutting, but it's a full size flower - looks pretty strange. You keep potting them up into slightly larger pots, they'll continue to bloom each year.

Of course, you could put several cuttings in a slightly larger pot - as long as they fill the pot with roots in a growing season they'll bloom. Not nearly as amusing, and the roots get tangled together, but it makes a bigger display. Also more stable, tiny pots with big flowers tip over easily.
Last edited by greenknight on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes when you see these plants growing in habitat they are growing on moss or detritus on trees and not in a pot full of soil, so the roots have to search for nourishment (rather like being pot bound) as well as anchoring them on to the tree.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?mid= ... orm=IDPWLC
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Great video Dave.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you MikeInOz, Greenknight and DaveW :) I have seen the video before but it’s a great video! The books in the video are on my wishlist, I may buy them as christmasgifts for myself? :D

I have never tried the ziplock bag method before but now I have some cuttings hanging in front of a window. I do hope they will root. I am a bit worried though that they will rot and not root, since the temperature in the room is between 17-20 degrees celsius.This may be too cold?
7george

Post by 7george »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 pm ===
I have never tried the ziplock bag method before but now I have some cuttings hanging in front of a window. I do hope they will root. I am a bit worried though that they will rot and not root, since the temperature in the room is between 17-20 degrees Celsius.This may be too cold?
Some of my cuttings root during whole winter at similar temps but dry atmosphere. Regarding that Schlumbergera: I'd burry that plant into wet soil in the way younger green segments could touch the soil. The plant is very moist-demanding: I had a segment that did not root until I just deepened it into a small glass with water.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8