Astrophytum Asterias sowing?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MissyLee5

Astrophytum Asterias sowing?

Post by MissyLee5 »

Hi everyone! I'm new around here. I've got several mesembs and a few cacti growing from seed but was hoping to get some advice on Astrophytum Asterias if anyone has experience growing them from seed. I've got it in a suitable substrate, but unsure if they like to be uncovered or covered. My Stenocactus Crispatus won't germinate unless left uncovered, so I figured I'd start there with the Astrophytum and cover if necessary. I've got the seeds uncovered, pressed flush with the substrate, bowl side facing up in a closed tray with moist substrate. It's been a few days days and so far no germinations. Do I have this right? Thanks in advance and nice to meet everyone! :D

Cheers,
Julie
Ohio, USA
Zone 6
LateBloomer

Re: Astrophytum Asterias sowing?

Post by LateBloomer »

As long as the soil is constantly moist and temps are over 20C... best around 30C then you should have germination within a week usually 3-4 days. You don't need humidity dome but it does make it easier if you soil drys out too quickly so you dont need to constantly moisten
MissyLee5

Post by MissyLee5 »

LateBloomer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 am As long as the soil is constantly moist and temps are over 20C... best around 30C then you should have germination within a week usually 3-4 days. You don't need humidity dome but it does make it easier if you soil drys out too quickly so you dont need to constantly moisten
Thank you for the reply. So, the seeds are ok not being covered by the substrate? It's been 4 days, so far nothing yet. I read they germinate pretty quickly if fresh, but I haven't dealt with the seller I bought them from before so unsure how fresh they are.
Ohio, USA
Zone 6
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

I would suggest constant humidity and heat. Better to be covered under a pot or box. Normally Asterias will germinate with 7 days.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
MissyLee5

Post by MissyLee5 »

abhikjha wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:12 am I would suggest constant humidity and heat. Better to be covered under a pot or box. Normally Asterias will germinate with 7 days.
I've got it outside in a clear take out container with a lid, and it's quite hot & humid in Ohio where I'm at.

How do you mean cover with a pot or box? What I meant to ask was, should the seeds be sown on top of the soil or should I add a thin layer over top of the seeds? I know some of my cacti seeds won't germinate if I cover them with any soil.
Ohio, USA
Zone 6
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Aah ok, sorry I misunderstood your question, it's container with a lid what I meant. If that's the case you are doing ok. I normally sprinkle seeds on the top of soil. I mostly use small size pumice and perlite, so after sprinkling the seeds, I tap them gently with a spoon or similar material to make them in contact with soil, then spray water very gently so that they don't wither away (this spray is in addition to the bottom water soaking). Many a times I also add a very thin layer of sand on top to get rid of any fungus development. Asterias seeds are relatively bigger size than let's say Ariocarpus seeds, so extra thin layer of sand will be useful in your case. But remember, this has to be a very thin layer to the point that with naked eye you can see where the seeds are(you know what I mean). Then close the lid and wait 😊. If you cover them too deep, chances are that they won't germinate as cactus seeds don't have enough power to push them through.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Another comment - no direct sun for any seedlings. You need heat, humid conditions but without direct sunlight.
MissyLee5

Post by MissyLee5 »

abhikjha wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm Aah ok, sorry I misunderstood your question, it's container with a lid what I meant. If that's the case you are doing ok. I normally sprinkle seeds on the top of soil. I mostly use small size pumice and perlite, so after sprinkling the seeds, I tap them gently with a spoon or similar material to make them in contact with soil, then spray water very gently so that they don't wither away (this spray is in addition to the bottom water soaking). Many a times I also add a very thin layer of sand on top to get rid of any fungus development. Asterias seeds are relatively bigger size than let's say Ariocarpus seeds, so extra thin layer of sand will be useful in your case. But remember, this has to be a very thin layer to the point that with naked eye you can see where the seeds are(you know what I mean). Then close the lid and wait 😊. If you cover them too deep, chances are that they won't germinate as cactus seeds don't have enough power to push them through.

Thank you! I hadn't put any sand over top of these ones, though I usually do with other seeds, just a bit like you said. I've got it outside in a corner on my covered porch, so no direct sun but able to get enough light. I will keep checking through the clear top, hopefully I didn't get a bad batch of seeds.
Ohio, USA
Zone 6
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

If seeds don't sprout within 2 weeks let them dry out completely for a week or two and try again... some stubborn seeds will still sprout BUT if you have zero germination it is likely a bad batch
MissyLee5

Post by MissyLee5 »

They finally came up! 4 out of 5. I always start small with new seeds in case I make any mistakes or have any mishaps along the way. They came up in the areas with that had patches of Coco coir vs the areas with more grit. Could be random but I took note of that.
Ohio, USA
Zone 6
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

MissyLee5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:20 am They finally came up! 4 out of 5. I always start small with new seeds in case I make any mistakes or have any mishaps along the way. They came up in the areas with that had patches of Coco coir vs the areas with more grit. Could be random but I took note of that.
That's an awesome germination rate. Congratulations! Where did you buy the seeds from? Coir does help in seed germination but also comes with risk if ever you would like to water them when they grow up.
MissyLee5

Post by MissyLee5 »

abhikjha wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm That's an awesome germination rate. Congratulations! Where did you buy the seeds from? Coir does help in seed germination but also comes with risk if ever you would like to water them when they grow up.
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get an alert. I bought these from a seller on Etsy since I couldn't get them from my usual supplier. Once they get bigger I'll be repotting them in a proper substrate, I just use the coir to mix with grit for germinating seeds.

I'm trying to figure out how long they should be left in a closed atmosphere. I thought I read somewhere that Astrophytum don't like to be humid for too long after germinating.
Ohio, USA
Zone 6