Major root rot on Aloedendron Dictoma, too wet! Is it going to survive?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Hero878

Major root rot on Aloedendron Dictoma, too wet! Is it going to survive?

Post by Hero878 »

Just discovered that most of the roots are gone and it's left with just a few stumps
They feel hard to the touch. All the soggy mushy roots are gone. But will it survive?
The soil was far too wet. I just repotted it with fresh cacti soil with a lot of pearlite. I also moved it into a clay breathable pot instead of a plastic one.
I think because I get so little sun light here I have no choice but to stick everything in clay pots as plastic pots would retain the water for a week even with lots of pearlite added.

Image Image
Jangaudi

Re: Major root rot on Aloedendron Dictoma, too wet! Is it going to survive?

Post by Jangaudi »

hmmm, if the roots are still firm it should be ok, you'll have to wait and see. From the looks of it it was planted in regular cacti/succulent soil, which is the cause of the issue. I'd advise to add a lot of small pebbles or crushed brick, or other material to it as well. Perlite does tend to hold the water as well. Mine are planted in very gritty stuff and the roots are doing great !
IMG20210727195726 copy.jpg
IMG20210727195726 copy.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Hey thanks for the tips. The mix your one is in looks very nice and free draining. You are right about perlite it does soak up the water and just clogs the mix up. I always wondered why people recommend perlite tbh.
I recently bought a big bag of Lechuza Pon so I mean just use that instead and have no soil at all.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Hero878 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:29 pm I always wondered why people recommend perlite tbh.
I recently bought a big bag of Lechuza Pon
I actually also use a bit of perlite in my mix, and some crushed brick. I think pure pebbles would cause an issue as they don't take up any water at all. I also got some old compost / organic soil in there, but just a bit.

That Lechuza Pon looks great, never heard of it so far. Thanks !
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

I haven't tried the Lechuza Pon on any of my succulents or cacti yet. But was intrigued to get some as well as some self watering pots that go hand in hand with the pon substrate.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Last summer I also purchased Lechuza Pon to make a more free draining soil mix for my tropical plants and it is indeed used with self watering pots. It consists of zeolite, pumice and (I think) lava rock. It is also fertilized. It is expensive though. If you would add some grit it is very suitable as a soil mix for cacti.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a