Succulent for office env

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
zephyros

Succulent for office env

Post by zephyros »

Hi guys,

I know office is not the best place for succulent, but if I want to add some green to my desk, which succulent would u recommend?

office will have air con turn on from 8am to 8pm, Mon to Fri. Temperature with air con will be around 18degree Celsius. Weekend will have no air con and temp is probably 25degree Celsius.

I will have grow light. Which type of succulent would u recommend? I am a beginner.

Thanks
zephyros
anttisepp

Re: Succulent for office env

Post by anttisepp »

Better to try some fern or bromeliads etc, - no problem with artificial light.
Succulents without direct sun is always problematic and unsane. IMHO
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Not 100% sure it’s actually a succulent(I’ve seen it defined as such before) but Dracaena trifasciata will pretty much adapt to any light you have.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

CactusBoss wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:12 pm Not 100% sure it’s actually a succulent(I’ve seen it defined as such before) but Dracaena trifasciata will pretty much adapt to any light you have.
This one or other, might be smaller sansevierias.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

The Euphorbia's from Madagascar would do well under artificial light and without a winter rest. The temperature variation is no problem either. They are not hard plants to grow. Treating them like arid growing plants can lead to their decline. Euphorbia decaryi, E. cylindrifolia, E. tulearensis, E. ambovombensis.

E. decaryi decaryi:
2015-2-12 Euphorbia decaryi decaryi 1.JPG
2015-2-12 Euphorbia decaryi decaryi 1.JPG (117.31 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
E. cylindrifolia ssp tuberifera:
rsz 2021-7-7 E. cylindrifolia ssp. tu.jpg
rsz 2021-7-7 E. cylindrifolia ssp. tu.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
E. ambovombensis:
rsz 2021-7-7 E. ambovombensis 2.jpg
rsz 2021-7-7 E. ambovombensis 2.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
zephyros

Post by zephyros »

thanks, will look into them
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

bbarv wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:32 pm
CactusBoss wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:12 pm Not 100% sure it’s actually a succulent(I’ve seen it defined as such before) but Dracaena trifasciata will pretty much adapt to any light you have.
This one or other, might be smaller sansevierias.
There's a variety Dracaena trifasciata “Hahnii”, common name Bird's Nest Snake Plant, that's only about 12" tall.
Spence :mrgreen:
BennieAnTheJets

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

Hi zephyros,

If you have to be in a office, plants are a life saver, I found. :lol: :D

These are not succulents, but almost... they have super-thick leaves and do well with severe drought (at least mine have for the last 15 years) and mine and it's mother have done great under artifical light, even, though they would prefer 3 feet from a northern window...

I am talking about my awesome Hoya carnosa! I have a Hoya carnosa splash that I absolutely adore. It even blooms in the office!

I will try to attach a photo.

Other Hoyas may work - there are so many - but not all of them - some require more light and some are quite hard to grow in cultivation, even for experts. The Hoya carnosa comes in several variations that are all pretty hardy, from what I know, though - and pretty! and interesting!

There is Hoya carnosa 'krimson queen' or 'albomarginata', 'krimson princess' with beautifully variegated leaves - they look like they are painted in greens - 'compacta', 'compacta variegata', 'splash', a plain green one, 'chelsea' with heart shaped leaves, and 'krinkle 8'. You can find them online.
Attachments
Hoya carnosa splash.jpg
Hoya carnosa splash.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 1947 times