Root mealies! Help!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
splitchestnut

Root mealies! Help!

Post by splitchestnut »

I discovered root mealies have infested some beloved haworthia of mine. No idea where they came from, but the infestations run from mild to severe. Is there a way to treat them short of cutting off all the roots?? I've already uprooted all of them and thrown out the contaminated soil.
:(
Trying to keep cacti alive in Maryland
jerrytheplater

Re: Root mealies! Help!

Post by jerrytheplater »

I once found a Root Mealy infestation on my dormant cacti in January in the late '80's. I ended up taking all out of the pots, removing all soil, and mixing up a solution of 2% by volume Ivory Soap and an Insecticide, maybe Malathion which I diluted according to the label. Using gloves, I dunked all the bare root plants and let them soak for 10 minutes. I did not rinse them. I drained them on sheets of newspapers to wick away the water, changing as needed. I left them bare root until Spring when I repotted. They all did fine and killed all of the Mealies.

Since you've already removed the soil, now is a good time to drench them. I am not aware of what Insecticides are suitable now, or legal to buy. The soap solution is a Poor Man's Safer's Insecticidal Soap. You may be able to get an aerosol spray of Insecticide, but I would not want to use that since you'd end up breathing a lot of it.

Also, see here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42129&start=90 The last page has a very current discussion on Root Mealies.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
splitchestnut

Re: Root mealies! Help!

Post by splitchestnut »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:13 am I once found a Root Mealy infestation on my dormant cacti in January in the late '80's. I ended up taking all out of the pots, removing all soil, and mixing up a solution of 2% by volume Ivory Soap and an Insecticide, maybe Malathion which I diluted according to the label. Using gloves, I dunked all the bare root plants and let them soak for 10 minutes. I did not rinse them. I drained them on sheets of newspapers to wick away the water, changing as needed. I left them bare root until Spring when I repotted. They all did fine and killed all of the Mealies.

Since you've already removed the soil, now is a good time to drench them. I am not aware of what Insecticides are suitable now, or legal to buy. The soap solution is a Poor Man's Safer's Insecticidal Soap. You may be able to get an aerosol spray of Insecticide, but I would not want to use that since you'd end up breathing a lot of it.

Also, see here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42129&start=90 The last page has a very current discussion on Root Mealies.
Thank you!!!
Trying to keep cacti alive in Maryland