MrXeric's Grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aeonium2003

Re: MrXeric's Grafts

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Nice close up shots and grafts! =D>
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:51 pm This 7 month old graft of Ariocarpus fissuratus, from seed sown last year, bloomed yesterday before the rain. I've been watching the bud form for the last couple months, thinking it was an offset at first since it didn't form on the the apex but lower down, almost Mammillaria-like.

Great flower!! Could this be a hybrid? Flower is pretty dark, almost like a A scapharotrus flower, congrats on a beautiful plant!
Alejandro
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:29 am Nice close up shots and grafts! =D>
Thanks Evan!
A_G_R wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:11 pm Great flower!! Could this be a hybrid? Flower is pretty dark, almost like a A scapharotrus flower, congrats on a beautiful plant!
Thank you Alejandro! You know, I think you may be onto something here. I was struck by the difference in color and shape of the stigma lobes and style
on my plant (4 lobes and both lobes and style nearly as pink as the petals) and that of other A. fissuratus (more lobes and both lobes and style almost white). Maybe these things are variable? But this scion also looks very different from another I grafted from the same batch of seeds I purchased from C and D Plants. A hybrid certainly seems likely, I think.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 pm
Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 am Great pics MrXeric! :) I have never tried grafting anything but your posts certainly make me want to try it. No access to Pereskiosis though, in fact I have never seen one IRL.
Thanks Mrs.Green! Maybe try online? Or maybe someone from a local cactus club or society can spare a few cuttings? A few cuttings is all you need; these things grow like weeds and you'll soon be overrun by them (provided they're kept warm and well watered).
Thank you MrXeric :) As far as I know, there are no local or national for that part cactus clubs/societies in my country. There have been a national one, but that one hasn’t been active for years. Even if I could get hold of some cuttings, I suspect the warm part could cause a challenge, at least in winter here.. We keep the temperatures indoors a bit lower than the majority does :D
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Pereskiopsis survives down to 28'F reliably for me. It does lose all it's leaves though. It seems to grow happiest indoors under lights.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

promethean_spark wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:31 am Pereskiopsis survives down to 28'F reliably for me. It does lose all it's leaves though. It seems to grow happiest indoors under lights.
Good to know. Maybe I can plant one in the ground after all. :)
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Perskiopsis does have wicked spines and glochids, frankly I wouldn't dare plant it in the ground lest I have a huge noxious bush to deal with.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

The second of my 2021 grafts to flower, Eriosyce villicumensis DJF 362. Very nice smoky yellow flower.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Another of my grafts bloomed, 1.5 years after grafting on Selenicereus megalanthus seedlings,
Cochemiea schumannii 'globosa' (=Mammillaria schumannii v. globosa).
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

That E villicumensis is sweet!!
Alejandro
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

The next to bloom, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus 'elephantidens' [MG 30].

That webbing? I got spooked too (several of my grafts suffered mite damage), but it's just a friendly spider :)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

The Ariocarpus above flowered again, but this time it was a fully female flower, no anthers at all (the previous one had a few), and even has a second style (but no stigma lobes).

Discocactus horstii starting to grow a cephalium at just under 1.5in./3.8cm in diameter.

Ariocarpus trigonus 'elongatus' [MG43]

the scion is about 2in./5cm on its longest side

Astrophytum myriostigma 'Onzuka Bouzu'. Also known as "Onzuka Blind Form". After Frank (Hanazono) helped me identify this plant, I researched a bit and found more pics of this form using its Japanese name "アストロフィツム恩塚鸞鳳玉坊主" or equivalently "アストロフィツム恩塚鸞鳳玉ボウズ", the difference between the two being only how 'bouzu' is written at the end.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Did you try rooting Yavia?
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Fatich wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:39 am Did you try rooting Yavia?
i did! I will post an update soon, but for now I can say they rooted. Whether they'll come back in the spring after a dry winter is yet to be seen. :lol:
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

MrXeric wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:09 am
Fatich wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:39 am Did you try rooting Yavia?
i did! I will post an update soon, but for now I can say they rooted. Whether they'll come back in the spring after a dry winter is yet to be seen. :lol:
I'm also looking forward to this update. There are very few plants of this variety. I got several grafted plants this winter, and I'm thinking about how to deal with them.