ELK 2021

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Jangaudi

Re: ELK 2021

Post by Jangaudi »

The participants have been published, and as expected it's a bit smaller than previous years, and no growers from the UK I'm afraid, due to known reasons. I consider going on friday already, as also the number of visitors will be less I think, we'll see. Enjoy!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Usually Friday is the busiest day, people queueing up at the door and flooding the sales areas so there is hardly any room to walk around. From what I heared every year. I used to go on the Saturday and the last few years the Saturday was rather quite (enough) you could easily have a good look at every table throughout the day.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Aiko wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:59 am Usually Friday is the busiest day, people queueing up at the door and flooding the sales areas so there is hardly any room to walk around. From what I heared every year. I used to go on the Saturday and the last few years the Saturday was rather quite (enough) you could easily have a good look at every table throughout the day.
I remember going on the first day of the previous edition and it was busy! I was just starting out with cacti and succulents and the nervosity and excitement of the crowd was a bit intimidating. I thought "these men and women mean business". I was also thinking "if I go the second day, all the good stuff will be gone".
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I agree with everything, just wondering if due to the covid restrictions, friday might actually still be doable...hard to tell...haven't decided yet ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

ohugal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Aiko wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:59 am Usually Friday is the busiest day, people queueing up at the door and flooding the sales areas so there is hardly any room to walk around. From what I heared every year. I used to go on the Saturday and the last few years the Saturday was rather quite (enough) you could easily have a good look at every table throughout the day.
I remember going on the first day of the previous edition and it was busy! I was just starting out with cacti and succulents and the nervosity and excitement of the crowd was a bit intimidating. I thought "these men and women mean business". I was also thinking "if I go the second day, all the good stuff will be gone".
The 'good stuff' could be gone. But if you are not after the most rare and expensive plants and you are not wiling to pay 100's of euros for a plant, I can tell you there is more than enough left on Saturday (and probably Sunday too) to buy. And much more quiet. As you are a beginner, I am sure you are not after a big clump of Lavrania haagnerae or a full grown Pseudolithos cubiformis on its own roots that might be for sale on the Friday and will be gone that day for sure.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

@ Aiko
You're right. My better half definitely wants a Crassula lycopodioides variegata. As I managed to underwater and kill the previous one. I bought a non-variegated one this summer, but that didn't suffice apparently. An additional Selenicereus is probably also on her wanted list. I'm going to try to hold myself back, due to space restrictions. We also start renovating our new house in October, which will probably take up most of my time. We have a veranda, so I finally can start growing cacti 'the proper way'.
hardiness zone 8a
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:12 am ...so I finally can start growing cacti 'the proper way'.
You sitting in a rocking chair on a verandah?
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

One Windowsill wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:26 am
ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:12 am ...so I finally can start growing cacti 'the proper way'.
This is the way.
No?
hardiness zone 8a
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:17 pm
One Windowsill wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:26 am
This is the way.
No?
Absolutely.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Anybody know a place where I can find a good rocking chair?
hardiness zone 8a
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:17 pm Anybody know a place where I can find a good rocking chair?
Kringloopwinkel :D
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Challenge accepted!
hardiness zone 8a
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I've been today, saturday, and I kinda enjoyed it more than last time I've been, a bit less crowded, pleasant scrowling around. I bought more plants than I was expected to, but that's probably because last year's edition was cancelled ;)
I was so absorbed in looking through the plants that I forgot to take pictures of the actual event....
As usual I didn't buy many cacti, as I feel I have really good access to cacti seeds as it is, but hardly to many other types of plants.
Anyway this is what I brought back :o
IMG20210911195518 copy.jpg
IMG20210911195518 copy.jpg (256.64 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
keith

Post by keith »

I see a few conophytums ? :D
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

keith wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:16 pm I see a few conophytums ? :D
Yes! it's Conophytum fraternum & Conophytum ricardianum. Just chose on sight really, with the help of my magnifying glass :D