Euphorbia obesa with male and female flowers?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
splitchestnut

Euphorbia obesa with male and female flowers?

Post by splitchestnut »

My oldest euphorbia obesa which had always produced female flowers suddenly surprised me by producing female AND male flowers at the same time. Is this common for obesas? I hope it's not a sign of stress or other issues.
Attachments
20210524_122206_copy_1024x576.jpg
20210524_122206_copy_1024x576.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Trying to keep cacti alive in Maryland
One Windowsill

Re: Euphorbia obesa with male and female flowers?

Post by One Windowsill »

Age and desperation? Has she ever produced seeds?

There are some species where this will happen.
splitchestnut

Post by splitchestnut »

I got her in 2017, I'm not sure how old she was when I got her. She's never made seeds since I didn't have a male obesa until recently and even now they aren't always blooming at exactly the same time that pollination would be possible. I also wasn't particularly interested in making seeds since I don't really have room to grow more plants but if it's important for her health I can definitely make it happen!
splitchestnut

Post by splitchestnut »

I got her in 2017, I'm not sure how old she was when I got her. She's never made seeds since I didn't have a male obesa until recently and even now they aren't always blooming at exactly the same time that pollination would be possible. I also wasn't particularly interested in making seeds since I don't really have room to grow more plants but if it's important for her health I can definitely make it happen!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I have one relatively young obesa that I tagged as male, since it produced male flowers. However more recently it is producing female flowers. No sure what is going on.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Interesting. Some fishspecies can change the sex too, if the male fish in a ‘harem’ dies. The links discuss this fenomen in plants and fives some clues to why this happens.

https://iflscience.com/plants-and-anima ... hange-sex/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094606.htm

https://weedmaps.com/learn/the-plant/he ... -turn-male
( hope I am not doing anything wrong , posting the last link? I came across it when googling for sex change in plants)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

mmcavall wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:18 pm I have one relatively young obesa that I tagged as male, since it produced male flowers. However more recently it is producing female flowers. No sure what is going on.
I have noticed before that Euphorbia bupleurifolia has changed sex. I don't know if this happens often (probably not) but there have been reports of this happening before.

See also viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43165&p=361976&hil ... ex#p361973 for another report of this, next to mine.