Repotted Mail-Order Cactus Not Growing?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Ferocactus

Repotted Mail-Order Cactus Not Growing?

Post by Ferocactus »

Hi,

I have a small Ferocactus recurvus seedling that I recently got from a seller in China; it was shipped bare-root, dry, and arrived after about 25 days. I immediately unpacked it, repotted it, put it under some LED grow lights, and have watered it once since then. It's been a couple weeks since I repotted it, but it is showing no signs of growth activity. The room I'm keeping it in is about 70˚F.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is there anything I should do for a cactus that was bare-root in the dark for nearly a month? I'm a little concerned.

Thank you!
I hope I'm not the only one that enjoys a taking bit of crystallized sugar from a Ferocactus' nectaries. :wink:
Steve Johnson

Re: Repotted Mail-Order Cactus Not Growing?

Post by Steve Johnson »

If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

Thank you, but I tried searching for keywords like "mail order" and "darkness", but I can't find any posts that address how to deal with successfully repotting a dormant cactus that was in total darkness for nearly a month, and inducing its growth.

I do see plenty of posts about dormancy and light levels needed by different families and genera of cacti; this has me more concerned now that I've read them. Living in Wisconsin, I'm having problems enough with trying to find a solution for dormancy in American and Mexican barrel cactus sp., without them freezing solid or getting too warm during the winter.

I'm even more discouraged now. How can cacti be this difficult to care for? ](*,)
Last edited by Ferocactus on Sun May 16, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope I'm not the only one that enjoys a taking bit of crystallized sugar from a Ferocactus' nectaries. :wink:
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

I just messaged the eBay seller of the F. recurvus seedling for his suggestions, so hopefully I will hear back from him soon. Though, I don't know how much help he'll be.

Nothing ever goes right, it seems; I hate Wisconsin...
7george

Post by 7george »

Sometimes cacti being stressed after change of conditions stop growing for a long time adapting to new conditions. Also to recover root system. Try some sunshine and day-night temperature fluctuations.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Per one of our other moderators:
DaveW wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:44 am As Steve says, look down the list of forums and try and choose an appropriate one rather than the first you come to.

Not everybody grows both Cacti and Other Succulents, therefore posts in the wrong forum may get you less views by people who can help you because those who only grow either Cacti or Other Succulents may not look in forums devoted to the others.
If you post your request for advice on the Cultivation forum, you'll be more likely to get responses there -- the whole reason why we try to point new members toward the right forum when they post.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

7george wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:05 am Sometimes cacti being stressed after change of conditions stop growing for a long time adapting to new conditions. Also to recover root system. Try some sunshine and day-night temperature fluctuations.
Okay, I can do that much, thank you! It's nearly summer, and temperatures are starting to climb; I've just been concerned about moving the seedling outdoors and exposing it to the sun's UVA radiation so soon after repotting. I don't have access to UV greenhouse film, but I think I can get some online.

Any idea how long it may take for a repotted barrel cactus to adapt to new conditions, weeks, maybe months?

Thank you!
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

I heard from the seller just now. Just told me to keep it in a ventilated area, water once a week, keep it in indirect light, mild temperature. "As long as it doesn't rot, it is alive". I appreciate his advice, but it doesn't sound right to water it every week right now: with this, wouldn't it rot if it's not growing?

I can't believe cacti are so difficult to grow properly, it's not right at all; more and more, it seems to me that they are incredibly weak. Maybe these plants have something against me... :x
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

With my limited experience, I think what the seller is saying is right and I agree with George! Transplant shock is common in all plants - be it cactus or any other. I have three examples to share - one with my hibiscus, it was literally dying, infested with aphids, in bad nursery soil. I changed its soil and cut down the roots after treating it for pests. It went into huge shock. I kept it under ventilated area with indirect filtered light, no fertilizer, watered it well..in few weeks time, it started coming to its feet and now blooming profusely. Second is my philodendron, same case as above. And third is my Mammillaria Un pico cactus. It didn't have much roots when I got it from seller, was shrinking and going soft. As per the advice by experts on the forum here, I put this under heavily gritty mix, put it under indirect light and watered it weekly. It took time but is now absolutely ok and grew many pups since then.

Few advice I can give you:
1. Use gritty mix (pumice, perlite etc.)
2. Keep it in well ventilated area
3. Give it filtered sunlight if possible
4. Water as per your condition and climate
5. Don't fertilize it unless you see some growth
6. I found that soaking the roots into hydrogen peroxide (3 parts water and 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide) really helps before you pot it
6. Don't loose hope as plant may look dying above the soil but roots take time to come over from the shock and establish itself. Once roots are established, plant will recover in no time.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Ferocactus. Growing any type of plant has its challenges. Cactus don't always take well to shipping. Unpotting damages the "fine" roots. Repotting damages the fine roots. Every plant is different. I have plants that I bought 2 years ago that have sat idle for those 2 years. Suddenly they started to grow. I have 2 Tephrocactus that were grey and hard for 3 years. They looked really dead. Suddenly they sprouted new nodes last week.. I just water all the sleeping plants regularly and wait. Yes cactus can be a challenge like any other type of plant. No enough water the wilt away. Too much water they rot. Not enough light they get stringy and to much sun they burn. It's part of the hobby.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

Thank you, that helps!

I have it in an unglazed terra cotta pot in a mix of about 1/3 pool filter quartz sand and 2/3 Espoma Cactus Potting Mix; I watered the seedling this morning, and the water stands in the pot for about 10 seconds, then (once starting to sink in) drains a little out the bottom after about 6 seconds. I'm not sure, is this good enough for a gritty mix (no access to pumice or perlite at the moment)?

I do have an Eva-Dry mini dehumidifier near the pots, and the humidity is extremely low in the room the cacti are in. The soil seems to dry out completely in about 4-5 days; should I just water it as often as the soil becomes bone dry, or just stick to once a week?

When repotting my other common cacti, they seem to start growing quite readily, but I'm thinking this may be because they never truly enter a dormant period (never gets below 60˚F where I keep them in the winter). This is the first time I've had a cactus that won't show any signs of activity after repotting. I hope this species is more resilient or easy to care for than really difficult species, so maybe it'll show signs of life in a couple months as the weather warms up.

Thank you!
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

I like Mike's response....covers it all well. They can sit static for a year, or more, then start new growth in the apex. Time to celebrate, then.

There are a number of Feros in my collection. I like them a lot.

You want real fun, try Scleros. Yeah, real fun.

Not too much water. Better less than more.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pool filter sand, while it is clean, is too fine-textured - you shouldn't use that. Any sand used should be coarse and free of salt, like the stuff sold as horticultural sand. Builder's sand will work, but it should be washed to be sure it's salt-free.

I don't think that's causing your problem now, but it is likely to cause problems down the road. Fine sand has a way of working its way to the bottom of the pot, where it forms a layer that impedes drainage.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Just be patient, provide the right conditions (filtered light and warmth, not too much water) and I think this summer you can see some growth hopefully.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

Hm, I think I will need to pick up some horticultural sand; the sand I'm using was only used in my fish tank years ago (before I switched to Seachem Flourite Black Sand), and looks identical to builder's sand in grain size variation. I had noticed that while mixing the sand into the cactus potting mix, and shaking the pot up and down, a good deal of the sand did settle at the base of the pot, but maybe that's just because it was heavier.

I guess I'll have to just wait and see, as hard as that is for me, if the plant will grow at all this summer. I think I'll pick up a seed germination heating mat, and see how that goes. I'm guessing it's probably not a good idea to re-repot my cactus with a proper mix at this point?