Repotted Mail-Order Cactus Not Growing?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Ferocactus

Re: Repotted Mail-Order Cactus Not Growing?

Post by Ferocactus »

Good news, I think!

I looked extremely closely, and I think I see a .5 mm-long tip of a central spine coming out of the newest areole on the top of the plant. It's not much, but I think I might try to either add a UVA bulb or move it outside to stimulate plant stress and increase dense spination. I may do the former for now, since it is currently unbearably humid, and typically doesn't improve until late-June, early-July.

I don't want to lose this plant, and will put all my focus on it from here on out.
I hope I'm not the only one that enjoys a taking bit of crystallized sugar from a Ferocactus' nectaries. :wink:
7george

Post by 7george »

Adult barrel cacti kept outdoors start their growth only in May or June earliest so everything is OK. How big is that plant actually -- 1, 2, 5, 8 cm in diameter? Have a photo?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Ferocactus

Post by Ferocactus »

7george wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:05 pm Adult barrel cacti kept outdoors start their growth only in May or June earliest so everything is OK. How big is that plant actually -- 1, 2, 5, 8 cm in diameter? Have a photo?
Thank you, that's great to know! Earlier this month I noticed my F. wislizeni and E. grusonii were starting to actively grow, but my new seedling was dormant/inactive. I have the former two outside in full sun, and they seem to be okay.

The F. recurvus seedling I have is about 4.5 cm in diameter from outer rib to outer rib. It's being kept in a 4" pot (didn't have any terra cotta pots smaller than this) in a 50/50 mixture of Espoma Cactus Potting Soil and washed quartz pool filter sand. The drainage seems okay, but I'm guessing it's probably too late right now to repot it to a mix with lava rock/pumice and maybe 25% cactus potting soil?
Attachments
SAM_2343.JPG
SAM_2343.JPG (162.1 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
SAM_2346.JPG
SAM_2346.JPG (156.81 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
I hope I'm not the only one that enjoys a taking bit of crystallized sugar from a Ferocactus' nectaries. :wink: